I knew I wanted a good sweat, big endorphin boost and a decent amount of calories burned down. I also knew that I woke up too late to run outside before my husband left for work so my options were to hit the treadmill while the kids were lost in imagination, schlep them all to the gym so I could get a workout in or wait until tonight (no thanks! It's Friday...I'd rather enjoy a beer with my husband).
I chose treadmill.
But how to avoid the boredom of a treadmill when you're not training for anything specific but still want a good workout?
Switch it up!
Today I alternated between 2 min fast (my fast is now what my goal marathon pace used to be only a few months ago) and 2 min easy for 4-5 miles. I followed this up with some lunges, core work, etc. and now I'm smiling inside and out. Awesome benefits!!
1. The miles seemed to go by so much faster.
2. My heart rate got up there! And then came back down with the easy portion. Good fat burning.
3. I sweat a TON!
4. My legs were happy to feel the faster pace without having to endure it for too long of a time.
5. I'm so much happier than I was before I did the workout!
6. And I didn't have to pack the kids up to go anywhere. My daughters just continued dressing their little brother up as a girl for the performance they were working on. By the end of my workout, my son had make up on, was wearing a dress and heels and was working on his high pitched voice to go with the dance he was learning. Good grief! The stories we will have to tell.