Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Changing Your Plan and Winners

Changing Plans With Life
My husband recently changed our phone plans because it meant saving money, getting better phones, and having better coverage. It was a better fit for us.  Of course, the new plan will take adjusting to.  For me, this means talking on the phone less and texting more.  As with most things in life, there are always going to be times when we end up changing our plans to fit our needs the best.  This is true for our plans/goals as parents, athletes, professionals, etc.  We have changing needs and so there are always going to be moments in life where we have to go off our plan, take a break from them, or rework them entirely.  


Yesterday, I went on my first run in a week.  I ran 4 miles with no groin pain!  This was such an amazing feeling and it reminded me of just how important running is in my life.  It reminded me of what a gift it is to be able to do something that makes me so happy and how it shouldn't be taken for granted.  We only have one body.  One!  If I don't take care of this one body of mine then forget running a marathon, I might not even be able to run an easy 4 miles!  Many times, not being able to run or do something we love is out of our control.  This is unfortunate.  But taking care of myself and making sure I'm doing what is best for this body of mine is something that I can control.  


That brings me to my plan.  Someone asked me recently about my plan for the rest of my training.  My marathon is 3 weeks from Saturday.  The idea of going back to the amount of work I was doing on my Brain Training plan sounds almost overwhelming to me.  My body has definitely been feeling over-trained and I am going to have to be very wise in how I carry on from here.  I will need to be very considerate and loving with my body and listen to what it is telling me. I will need it to run a strong race.  My plan is going to have to change.  And just like with my change in phone plans, I will need to make some adjustments in my life to make sure I'm a good fit with the plan and the plan is a good fit with me.  As of now, my goals are:

  • To do what I can to maintain my fitness without losing too much.  
  • If my body is up to it, I will incorporate 1 day of either speed or tempo but not both for now.  I will reevaluate as I feel myself being up to it.  
  • My body is still very tired.  I'm getting plenty of sleep so I don't understand why.  Perhaps it will help if I just tell myself that I'm full of energy instead of moping around saying how tired I am.  
  • I will try for one more long run this Saturday.  I will try for a slow and easy pace.  Thinking 20-22.
  • My goal for the marathon is no longer a time goal.  My goal is to run at a pace I feel strong with.  I will try to stay strong and then pick it up at the end.  By the end of the race I want to know that I gave it my all.  A PR would be nice but it has been 7 years since I've run a marathon so at this point, I don't have a lot of expectations.  
  • I'm really focusing on weight training, eating adequate amounts protein and good calories, stretching and fluid intake.  All the things that I was letting slip as my marathon training got more difficult. 
  • Enjoy the process!
I have an equal amount of plan changes and new goals in my life as a mother.  I will save these for another post.  Recently, a relatively new blog friend sent me a book in the mail.  It was so sweet of her to think of me and I hope to share it with you soon.  I am certain that she was brought into my life for a powerful reason.  Already, she has proven to be a mommy mentor and I'm excited to read several of the books she has suggested to me.  I'm ready to make some big changes with the way I parent.  As my kids have gotten older, I'm being called to a new level of parenting!  I'm up for the challenge and I'm not going to drop the ball on this one.  Way too important of a job to not continue to reflect and make changes with.  More on this soon.  Thanks Jen!  at Why I Run!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 



And the winner's of the Tri-It Wear T-shirts are......


1.  Karen (Karen, are you K on my comments?  On don't think you have a blog to link but I'll e-mail you if I don't hear from you).  
2.  Chris K  He has already said he is going to ask for a women's shirt so he can give it away to one of his awesome lady followers!  How generous Chris!  


Please contact Juan at juan@triitwear.com to claim your awesome t-shirt!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What is something in your life that you've had a "plan" for that you've had to make changes to?  


Amanda

20 comments:

  1. YAY for running pain-free! Can't wait to hear what route you choose to prepare for your run in 3 weeks. I am sure your plan will be awesome and get you to the start and through the race in a manner you feel good about :)

    As that saying goes... Life's what happens when we're busy making plans.

    I had a big plan of having my kids before I turned 30. I wanted to be a young mom. Ha! I had my first at 36 and my fourth at 46.

    I had planned on being a competitive rower for a long time... a car accident in 1991 ended that. Five years later, I turned to running and that was curtailed after a few years by some weird hip ailment that lasted for over 8 long years.

    I had a plan of being part of a big, happy blended family... that one was blown out of the water one week shy of 5 years ago.

    Life is all about being resilient :) You seem to have that quality in spades, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for no groin pain! I'm glad to hear that you are making adjustments to the road ahead. Life is quick and we can either make positive or negative responses to unexpected changes, and I think that you are making the right decision here. Heck after all these weeks you want to make it to that starting line with your head up and healthy. You're going to run your first marathon in 7 years...wow thats exciting!

    I like that you are loose on your expectations, this will leave you lots of room to blow yourself away with your capabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plans... I've had too many "plan changes" to count. Being in the military (for 9 years) and being married to a military man will do that to you. Plan schman!

    Good luck with your taper. Sounds like you've got it nailed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do a B vitamin overdose to up your energy. If you're not already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how fun making 'plans' and then things not going as 'planned.' Mine (of course) would be this whole 'having kids' plan. I thought for sure we'd be up to our eyes in onsies and diapers at this point, but alas, we're not! Someday, though. SOMEDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phone plans are so annoying!! Hopefully it's all figured out now!

    Congrats to the winners!

    I am glad that you went for a run without pain. That's definitely a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you are running pain free. It is amazing how an injury changes ones perspective on the meaning of running. I think your plan is good, one more long run and then focus on little speed and lower mileage to keep you sharp during taper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for a pain free run!! Those are the BEST kind! Like Kara said, you can maitain a lot of fitness with cross training...

    Ahh, changing plans. That is the motto of my life. I imagined the life of a stay at home mom with the white picket fence. Nothing in my life has been as I planned. But, you know, I am so happy. I cannot imagine my life any different now. The rest will just roll with the punches and enjoy what God brings my way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for no groin pain. Laying off the crazy sex, huh? :D

    I love that you had a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to hear that you had a great pain-free run!! I think your goals for the next 3 weeks sound perfect - I think you will be one happy runner come race day!!

    Sorry a short comment...not feeling uber great and going to bed, but I so wanted to read!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for running 4 miles pain free! I know how exciting and awesome that is!!
    I think your new plan is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so am glowing for you! I was the same way last friday- coming back from an injury is HUGE. I love the plan and love your energy! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK-I just commented on a paragraph that disappeared so I'm deleting my comment.....

    Well written. You really articulate so well and SO true-ONE body-MUST honor it!! So happy you are running pain free!! Such a good approach you're taking for this last 3 weeks too!! Mom aka Jenn says do not let adrenaline get the best of you in that 20-22. Save it!! Time on your feet should be your goal there.....You know this-I'm a firstborn and just like to be bossy:)

    I should probably be making some changes with how I parent or at least reading books that make me think about my parenting....Inspire me. Right now I feel like a good mom if I sit in the chair with Max on my lap for 10 minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great that you can run again. Good job on being flexible and changing your plans and objectives of the race. I fully endorse your new approach :-)

    Will you help me pick the shirt I will give away on my Blog?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea! So glad you're running w/o hurting. Granted, the sex injury stories have to stop now, but I bet you can find a new way to introduce them...you're a creative girl! Good perspective on your plans/goals. Do you think your fatigue could still be a symptom of overtraining? Or just God's way of saying, Go easy on yourself, girl...you're pretty fantastic already.".

    Changes to plans...was going to have my first child @27...beat that by 8 years. Never expected to be divorced young. Never planned to be a teacher. Or a runner. But it's been an interesting path, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GREAT post, the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of your post about your body and taking care of it is right on. I don't think I take running for granted, but I think I took being healthy for granted. I realize that it takes maintenance of your body to stay healthy (foam rolling, stretching, icing, etc). Slacking on one of these areas might lead to injury, and it led to injury for me. Listening to your body is an awesome idea - I hope things keep getting pointed in the right direction for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So important to get bogged down with our plans when they're not working for us. Your new plan is good. It'll take the pressure off you physically and mentally and you will be able to enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coming from someone who had overtraining syndrome then 2 sf's.. rest.. listen very carefully to your body. :) I'm really, really happy you ran with no pain!!!!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My plans for my 20k have gone to the wayside. After getting mostly over my sciatic pain I've really been busy focusing on the other areas of my life (starting a business, kid stuff, etc) and am just trying to fit the passion back into the plan. :)

    ReplyDelete