|Listing gratitude with my kids. My pre K five year old daughter's list: God,haircuts, cuddles with mommy, dad, brother and sister|
What season is it again? Oh, that's right, in Portland we only have a few seasons around here: rainy, less rainy, partially rainy, piss-on-you-all-the-time rainy, and we'll-make-you-think-it-isn't-going-to-rain-and-then-DUMP-on-you rainy.
Waking up to the pouring rain and cold was a sure sign that I'd be digging deeper in my thankful pockets for things to add to my gratitude list today. No, I don't do gratitude lists every day. But I should. They really help put things in perspective for me. They help me find magic in the ordinary everyday things. The things that might otherwise go by unnoticed. Gratitude lists also help get my energy flowing when it feels stagnant and stuck.
So here goes with my list of things to be thankful for in my life right now:
- My body is officially WHOLE! Yippie. My right hammy seems to be 100% for sure. The past week has been the first full week that I haven't felt pain in my hamstring when I sleep. Seems like I felt it the most when I'd move during sleep. Perhaps this is because the rest of the day I am so busy and distracted that I don't pay as much attention to it.
- The very kind and positive e-mail I got from a blog reader yesterday. Haven't been so active on my blog lately and her e-mail was a reminder of why I write and share my life with others. Thank you K.L (you know who you are). Good luck on your next marathon!
- Having morning story time with my middle daughter. We even had time to write a gratitude list for her before my youngest woke up. Feels good to have consciously filled her mommy-time cup.
- Getting up early enough to make oatmeal for breakfast and have a few moments with my husband before he took off for work.
- A chiropractor appointment today.
- Excited about my run today: 11 miles (35 min@8:30; 20 min@7:10; 35@8:30)
- Having a coach to tell me what my weekly workouts are. Workouts tailored specifically to ME.
- My new deck. Hopeful for some summer sunshine, hours of back yard play, enjoying a drink with a girlfriend, family dinners, neighborhood gatherings, etc. The deck and the trampoline=awesomeness.
- Having a backyard full of neighbor kids most days after school. I like being the house where the kids hang out. (when it isn't raining)
- A girl trip to Boston coming up.
- My July 4th Marathon. So Close. I'm a little nervous and not quite sure where I'm at since it has been so long since I've really raced anything.
- Friendships. New and Old. I've really valued the deepness I've found in a handful of girlfriends lately. So much treasure to be found in finding other women to share our lives with. And friends where you can completely be yourself without fear of judgement.
- An awesome trip to San Antonio where I met some new family/friends that I have running in common with.
- Being home with my children. So easy to take this for granted and forget that it is a choice and a blessing. My messy house and crazy moments in life are something that I will surely miss someday.
- Going on an adventure hunt with my two younger kids the other day. We just took off on a walk/bike ride ready for whatever adventure we found. We left with a paper bag in hand, our eyes wide, and our ears open. We ended up witnessing two birds talking to each other for about 10 minutes in a very specific way. And then we saw them fly to a tree and land on the grass gobbling up worms. When they got their fill, they took some with them (assuming to their baby birds?) I'm not a huge nature fanatic but this was TOO COOL! So glad I took time to slow down and take in life around me.
- Library books! I love love love going to the library and stocking up on books and magazines for my kids to dig into. We usually get quite a bundle and it lasts us at least 3 to 6 weeks.
- Seeing my kids use their imagination. Even if it means seeing my son give his sisters' doll a makeover. Lucky doll. I want pampered like that.
Goals for Now and Later:
- Get more sleep
- Model gratitude for my kids
- Model patience and a gentle and loving way of responding to them instead of losing my cool and "barking" at them.
- Taking time for a short but more structured reading, math, writing time this summer that is FUN but also enriching.
- Not feeling guilty about things anymore. Or way less. Life is too darn short to feel guilty about everything. Focus on the things I AM doing Well and not all the things I could be better at. Good grief, I'm hard on myself.
- Keep on making running fun and enjoyable. I love how running fits in my life right now. It seems pressure free and something I do because I love it, I'm good at it, and it keeps me healthy and want to be better at LIFE.
- Spend less money. Just because I have the money doesn't mean we should spend the money. There are surely things I can cut back on...races, buying anything and everything that I want, eating out whenever we are out (packing more snacks), traveling to every place that looks fun, etc. Things I won't skimp on: QUALITY FOOD!
- Ignore the messes more and just sit down and enjoy being part of the mess with my kids! This one is big for me.
As always, I would love to hear from you. What are one or two things on your gratitude list? What are some of your big and/or small goals?