Here we are again! Boston. One of my favorite cities. The weather is PERFECT for a marathon weekend. The energy is high but the temps are cool. I'm surrounded by friends and given an opportunity for a weekend away with my husband without the kids. Life is good. But it's also feeling a little stressful lately so I'm taking a moment to myself here to list some goals and intentions for this weekend. Intentions for this 26.2 mile run on Patriot's Day...Intentions for the memories I want to make on this gift of a weekend where I can just be with my friends during a time where the city is alive with a sport I love.
And since I seem to do so well with writing/talking to myself on this blog, I'll do this in letter form.
What a crazy past few months. Moving your family across the country, finding a home, researching schools, nursing a broken down body, trying to lay down some temporary roots, and planning for more travel to Boston has been quite stressful. Exciting, yes. But more stressful than you've even been aware of. You're holding on to way too much. All in trying to stay in control when many things around you feel out of control. So, let's set some goals/intentions for this weekend and then get on with enjoying a big day in Boston.
Goals for Boston 2013:
- Acknowledge where you are at in life. Right here. Right now. Acknowledge that your body isn't entirely whole and that you're stress level is high. Just allow yourself to BE. Where you are.
- Soak up the city!
- Soak up the friends that are here with you. Make the most of the short moments you have with those forever friends that you don't get to see very often.
- Have FUN!
- Let go of the the clock. Don't let pace define you tomorrow...truly allow yourself to use this as a training run. A 26.2 mile run through Boston where you will be surrounded by cheerleaders every step of the way.
- Love yourself.
- Look FEAR in the eyes. Recognize it. Know that it is is there. And then dismiss it the best you can. Fear lies. Fear holds us back. Nothing to be scared of. Change is GOOD. Scary sometimes. But good. Grow with it. Change with it. Embrace it. And know that you are loved. All will unfold as it should.
- Use this 26.2 mile run to process life, let go of the stress/fear, and to remind yourself how strong you are.
- Remind yourself that you are in control.
- Embrace the terribly happy feeling that lives in your heart right now that comes with this move to a place that you love so so much, being in Boston, and having so much to look forward to in addition to being part of right. this. second.
- Look around you. Notice things...other runners, buildings, signs, smiles, colors, people spectating, etc. Sometimes it is too easy to go inside of yourself and get lost in your thoughts and then miss out on the things RIGHT in FRONT of YOU!
- Let your body tell you what to do tomorrow. Go with it. Don't OVER THINK. Just Run. Listen to your body.
Here's to a great day in Boston!