Thursday, July 11, 2013

Writing For ME. Rediscovering MY Something.

Jewelry from The Run Home


I've started writing again.  Okay, so I never officially stopped writing. At least I didn't intend to. But somehow, in the midst of all this life stuff, my writing just kind of dried up. Not just my blog writing but my personal writing.  My every day just for me because it makes me happy writing.

Along with running, writing is my perfect therapy. We all have our"SOMETHING".  That thing we do because it makes us feel more connected with ourselves.  That thing that brings life to our world.  Writing (and running) is MY something. It clears my head and gives me energy. It makes me feel in touch with myself.  When I write (or run), I am inspired to live a fuller life.  Whether I write for myself or for others to read, I almost always walk away from it feeling centered, calm and motivated.

I think back to a couple years ago when I just couldn't stop writing. I journaled, blogged, e-mailed...you name it. I wrote and wrote and wrote. And I started to find my voice as a writer.  The more I wrote, the more I wanted to write and the easier writing was. Again, similar to my running. At one point I couldn't even keep up with all the things I wanted to write.  I had many different notebooks stacked up on my desk, note pads with lists and ideas for life and more writing, my personal journal, etc.  Sometimes I even put a pen and notebook in my jogger stroller because I knew I would think of something I'd want to write while I was on a run with my little ones in tow.  In fact, there were many times that I just stopped on the side of the road mid-run just to jot a sentence down before it flew out my head and was replaced by the next thought.  I was living the "writerly life" that I always talked about to my students when I was a teacher.

And I was doing it solely because it brought me JOY and fulfillment.  Not to make money or have others know me as a writer (Heck, I don't even claim to be a good writer).   I didn't write for anyone else but me. Because I wanted to!  It made me feel connected with myself and others. With every new piece of writing I wrote and every idea I captured (whether it was for a public audience or just myself), I felt happy to have written it.  I felt happy...
because..

Like Running,

I.
Love.
To.
Write.

And I miss it.

So, this week I blew the dust off my journal, decided to take my walls down again when it comes to this blog and I set a new goal for myself:

Write something every day.

I'm going to try to make time to write every day.  Even if it is only 10 minutes.  Whether I write a blog post to share with others, work on something I've got going in my notebook, write a letter to myself in my journal, process something on paper, make a list, write to my kids, send a long e-mail or letter... I'm going to write.  

So, here's to getting back in SHAPE! 

With 
Writing
and 
Running 
and 
LIVING,
FEELING,
BEING,
MORE 
LIFE.

Already off to a good start today:
  • Up early with coffee and journal, notebook.  
  • A bit of time to read...I think writing and reading definitely go hand in hand.  
  • QUALITY time and conversation with my kids.
  • Quick treadmill workout before heading to doctor this morning.  A workout that was short but effective in getting me sweating and feeling alive!  Oh, and my kids were dreams...they just sat next to the treadmill and chatted with me.  4 miles:  1 mile @easy 8:35 pace then next 3 miles with alternating 45 seconds to 1 min at 6:40 pace and then 2 min@8:35 pace.  An easy workout but just enough mix up to get my body used to running a little faster.  Getting an itch to train lightly for something again.  Or not.  Mostly enjoying the freedom to do whatever I want and be fit and healthy without being tied to a plan.  I like this.  
  • CONNECTING with a few special people. 
  • One of our new friends in town asking if she could take all three kids for a play date.  Um, Okay!  Going on 3 hours now and she wants them until 8.  Can we say DATE with my hubby for dinner?  Thank you friend.  Can't wait to return the favor.  Such a treasure to have found another mom who is all about the play date trades.  
  • A walk by myself to the library and coffee shop down the street from us.  
  • Writing about writing.  I know, boring.  But its my start to finding MY Something again. 
What's YOUR SOMETHING?  Or SOMETHINGS.  That thing that makes you feel more alive and centered when you do it?  


Amanda 

8 comments:

  1. My MIL is writing her memoir and she said that in her writing class one of the things she learned was to make herself sit and write daily for 30 min, whether she wants to or not. She said it made such a difference.

    You are a gifted writer! Whether you write for yourself or others, it is obvious that writing needs to be part of your life.

    My something? Hmmm, it changes a lot, but I think my constant has always been learning, I love to learn:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AM. Your words mean a lot to me...because I know you don't say things you don't mean. :) Oh, I love love love learning. And love others that love to learn. NO wonder I love you in my life! A life long learner! That was my biggest hope for my students (and my own kids)...that they would grow to be life long learners. And yes, writing every day for at least a little bit...I hear this from so many writers.

      Delete
  2. Writing is my second personal therapy. (second only to exercise!) If only I could learn to write while I am running?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday, we had some bad flooding here. I used it as an excuse to read, read, and read. That's what I truly love doing, but rarely have time to get deep into a good book. During the school year, it's just a few pages here and there. I'm talking about deep reading, like half a book in one sitting... LOVE IT!

    I'm looking forward to reading all of your new works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is writing, reading, good food, music and running:) I suppose that is why I was a history major, who ran cross country and went to school in NOLA. Definitely keep up your writing. Such a healthy outlet to express our emotions and find balance in a fast paced world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so often confused my "something" with others acceptance of it. I, too, love to write but have not done so when there is no one to read it! I finally separated the two when it comes to training - I used to post every workout in an online community to receive tips, comments, and props. But I felt more pressure than I should to "perform" every single run/bike/swim. I'm so happy now that my training pleases just ME. :) I'm inspired by your reprise and encouraged to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's running and writing and baking for me. Each day has to include at least one of these and if I can manage all three then it's a really good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you are getting back into your writing for YOU!!! I love to read what you write here on your blog - the perspective that you share always makes me stop and really think.

    Like about what my something is - I don't know. I'm not sure I've ever thought about it. I love to run and workout but I don't know if that is my true something. I think I will spend time over the weekend trying to figure out what my answer really is.

    ReplyDelete