Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Be a Beacon for Each Other; Tell Someone What They Mean



Something for Today: 
Tell someone what they mean to you. Think of someone (close friend, family, acquaintance, or someone you only know from a distance) who has impacted or inspired you in a positive way. Then TELL THEM. Let them know what their words, actions, or example means to you. Thank them. This can be as easy as a text or e-mail but these things truly do matter and can go a long way!


I woke up early this morning.  Earlier than usual anyway.  One of my intentions is to carve out morning time for peaceful and silent reflection just for ME.  This time is when I have some of my most meaningful conversations with myself.  It's the time that, if I listen, I can hear God's voice...and my higher self...so clearly.  Taking the first moments of the day for just being still with my thoughts allows me to see and hear things about life that I might otherwise never slow down enough for.  It also gives me the chance to connect with friends through e-mail when I might not find this time later in the day. Just taking these extra moments in the morning opens up opportunity for lots of things that might otherwise never happen.

My early morning today meant finding time to have coffee with my husband, light a few candles, get a phone call that school is canceled again (again?!), and check my e-mail.  I must be radiating some sort of energy to people that says "contact Amanda" because I woke up to a few e-mails from people I rarely talk to.  One of them was from a little sister of sorts...someone I've known for many years.  I knew her when she was just a little girl.  She was 9 or 10 and I was 16.  Over the years we've kept in touch a bit and had some special moments.  Always an important person to me.  A kindred spirit.  One of those people that you don't have to talk to constantly or keep in touch with regularly.  You are just connected.  Her words to me were simple but so strong.  She expressed how my words have influenced her life and she shared with me how her life has been changing for the better.  In the end she used the word "beacon" to describe what I've been for her.

Beacon : someone or something that guides or gives hope to others.  A light. 

What a beautiful and strong word.  In fact, I might jump on the word trend wagon that's going around and make BEACON my word for the year.  Beacon.  A reminder to find my beacons in life by focusing on, receiving and embracing those things and people that fill me with love, inspiration, and meaning. My friend's words were so affirming to me.  Meaningful.  Perfect timing.  In fact, as I was reading them, they put a light in me.  They were a reminder that we really do make a difference in the world when we share our heart...our spirits...our stories.

My friend's words that she took the time to write to me became MY BEACON for today.  For awhile. And they reminded me of the power in taking the time to tell others what they mean to us.  It can be as simple as a text or e-mail but these words can go a long way.

I sent an e-mail back this morning letting this beautiful woman know how much her words meant to me.  Just as my words and life had been a beacon of sorts to her, her words today were the same for me.  We all have moments where we lose sight of ourselves...where life gets a little foggy as we try to make our way.  Sometimes it is hearing from others in this way (when we least expect it) that can remind us where we are going and uplift us...they make a difference.

Today I want to reach out and tell someone what they mean to me.  Someone that doesn't hear from me very often and might not know what they mean to someone.  This doesn't have to be complicated.  It might just be a simple text thanking them for who they are.  Or a phone call.  Simple.  Simply letting someone know what they mean.

Do you have someone in your life that has been a beacon of sorts (temporarily or constant)?  Is there someone that you can reach out today with a simple text or message that lets them know what they mean and how they have influenced your life in a positive way?  


Amanda 

I don't write here as often as I used to but you can also find Runninghood on:


15 comments:

  1. Great reminder!! I so wish I had that time in the morning it sets things off to the right start! It's so hectic in my house in the mornings I usually start the day flustered :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. What a great reminder and I have done as you suggested - I've just reached out to a friend to tell her how much she means to me and how much of a difference her friendship makes to my life. I totally get your early starts - I get up early but mostly to get my training in. I now try to take half an hour every day to just stop and take my time over something - writing, drinking coffee, just being outside. It's made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder that we need to let those special people in our pasts know that they still matter to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just so lovely. And it's a good reminder to stop putting off contacting my friend because I'm 'busy'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good reminder. Yes! There are several such people in my life, and a few whom I haven't acknowledged as such. Last year one of my customers moved away and made a special trip to the pharmacy to bring me a card and a box of candy. I was so surprised, but she reminded me of a time when I did a very small little favor for her. However, it meant a lot to her then, and I often think fondly of her sweet gesture. She really inspired me to acknowledge when others help out, thank others, and tell others that I appreciate them. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! It reminds me of how much I shocked someone I don't know too well by expressing my gratitude towards them. Instant connection! I think it's often harder to remember to express our love to those closest to us! I'm going to go do that…xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I think I will do that right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanted to say that I sent a good friend of mine an email. She was looking at possibly coming to visit before her big surgery. She said after the email, she is definitely coming and I couldn't be happier!

      Delete
  9. Just now catching up on some blog reading (as we have yet another snow day here) and loved this post. I definitely have friends in my life that I haven't spoken to in a while and who I know would love a note, call or even just a text saying hello. But, equally important, I have some friends who I see and talk to often but I don't necessarily take the opportunity to tell them how much they mean to me.

    Thank you for the reminder to reach out to friends and family - both near and far - and tell them what an impact they have had on my life. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what I love about the word "Beacon?" It looks like Bacon
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2 Corinthians 4:6
    "For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

    ReplyDelete
  13. H O P E

    His
    Omni
    Present
    Essence

    ReplyDelete