Wednesday, December 17, 2014

I Potty Trained My Firstborn with Raisins. Oh How Parenting Changed with the Other Kids.



Lots of things have changed as my kids get older compared to my ideas of how things would be when I was new to motherhood but in the end, the thing that stays the same is how much I love these guys!  

When I had my first child (and even before), I had a very clear idea of how I wanted to parent. You name the topic and I most likely had a strong opinion: screen time, sugar, cloth diapers vs. regular, breast feeding, child birth, organic foods, potty training, sleep training, etc.  I wasn't critical of how others chose to do things with THEIR kids but I was opinionated about how I wanted to do things with MY kids. I pushed my first born out and was ready to rock it from day one!  And I was convinced I'd carry on with my approaches with all of my kids.  Even with the youngest.  Wow. Oh, how funny this is to me now that I am a mother of three.  Going on almost ten years later with two girls (9 and 7) and a boy (5), and I can see that no matter how good my intentions were, things just change for us as parents as we have more kids and the reality of parenthood and childhood sets in.  My son (third child) is proof of this.  With the third child, we've just become a little more...relaxed about things.  Ok, relaxed isn't the right word because I'm far from relaxed most days.  We've become tired.  Adapted to a more balanced approach to parenting.  Realized that our kids won't die if we slack on a few things.  In fact, they are alive and thriving without fried brains DESPITE the sugar, screen time, disposable diapers, drinking out of plastic cups that may or may not be BPA free, and the fact that they went a few days without eating anything green.

Even though I had a whole bag full of intentions, expectations, and opinions at the start of parenthood, it all went a little differently with each of my kids. One situation that was different with the other kids compared to my firstborn:

Potty Training (and the use of Sugar and Bribery to make things happen!)

All my kids have been potty trained at relatively early ages (nope, this doesn't make me a better mom).  Potty training and sleeping on their own were things I was all about having implemented earlier rather than later.  Having wood floors where they could run around without diapers helped with this.  Oh, and lots of toilet breaks for a read aloud was nice too.  Increase the number of visits to the toilet within the hour and eventually, they are bound to have to pee. Once they see that they did it in the potty and experience the celebration that follows, they usually want to do it again!  Now, what constitutes a "potty celebration"?  This was different for each of my kids.

I potty trained my first born with raisins and joyful claps of encouragement.

Yes, raisins.  These were her candy!  She knew of nothing else. No older siblings to offer her candy or friends at school handing out party bags with smarties and giving extras to the little brothers and sisters.  Raisins were a TREAT!  [now she won't touch them]  Every time she would pee in the potty, she got a few raisins and a potty dance.  This was awesome for all of us!  She was potty trained and we stuck to our no sugar first-time parent convictions.  Win win.

Fast forward to the second and third child.  At this point, my oldest had not only discovered the incredible joy of SUGAR, she asked for it daily.  And she was crafty with the ways she went about getting it.  Forget having to potty train our second daughter...our oldest did it for us.  Her thinking:  If I get my sister to use the potty, I can offer her some chocolate and then of course Mom will have to give me some too!  It was a potty training extravaganza!  She asked little sissy many times a day if she wanted to go to the bathroom to sit on the toilet, drew up posters to put in the hallway that had pictures of toilets next to an equal sign that had candy on the other side (advertisement), and made it her personal job to make sure her sister thought big girl panties were the coolest thing ever!  "Mom will give you some candy if you try to pee!" she'd say.  At this point, I'm pretty sure they only got a few small pieces of chocolate but it was still CANDY!

By the time my son was ready to be potty trained, I might have been giving them all a whole candy bar if he just peed on a tree in the backyard.  But I don't remember that much because those memories are all kind of blurry.

Here's one reason why potty training my son was a blur.  It was never just an easy trip to the toilet.  Heck, even I was ready for a candy bar after this toilet break.  

This little guy.  Love him.  Full of everything spunk.  Being his mother has changed much for me with regards to how I THOUGHT I'd approach parenting. 

Last night at the dinner table after a late night of running kids around to indoor soccer and gymnastics practices and trying to cross everything off the list for the holidays, I just laughed to myself at how different things have become with our kids compared to the ideas we had of how things were going to be.  For one, I never believed all those stories that boys were so different from girls.  I kind of knew this as a teacher but it isn't the same until you're actually raising boys AND girls and see the differences for yourself.   Motherhood over the years has been humbling and enlightening.  I admit, I feel crazy A LOT.  I doubt myself often.  And parenting guilt shows its ugly face more than I'd like. But, I also know deep down that Good Enough is better than driving myself crazy trying to do everything the way I thought I was supposed to.  Now, I choose my battles more.  Let things slide.  And know in the end, my kids will likely turn out just fine!  The most important thing is that I'm loving, believing in, and being an advocate for my kids and that they KNOW this through my words and actions.  The rest is icing on the parenthood/childhood cake!


  1. What are some things that have changed for you as a parent over the years? 
  2. Did you do and think differently with your firstborn compared to your other kids?  
  3. What is one specific thing that was different with your firstborn compared to your other kids?  
  4. Giving my kids healthy foods to eat is one topic I've kept the same opinion on.  My approach is different and I choose my battles OFTEN when it comes to food/sugar, but I still try to help my kids eat healthy.  I wrote on this on Run with Me Kids today and I'd really love your comments on the post if you'd be willing to share:  What are some of your tips for helping your kids eat healthier foods? (You can share that here and/or on the link to the Run with Me Kids post.)

17 comments:

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head with the "tired" comment. I too am just too tired to always be trying to be the perfect mom. As a mom to 4 it's just hard. With my oldest son I did not want him to go for sleepovers at my in laws. It's a complicated household with extended family living there as well. Now with my youngest (he's 4 now) she takes him all the time and I just can't be bothered to fight the fight. I think part of it is that I have more confidence that she loves him almost as much as I do. And I have known her for 10 years now. Back with my first I hadn't known her very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, tired! Perfection is such a trap! There's no such thing. I think the older I get, the more freedom I find in doing things "good enough" rather than striving for things to go exactly as planned. That doesn't mean I don't continue to strive and make goals to be better with all the areas of my life. Or that I don't try to be a great mom and provide awesome experiences for my kids. But it does mean, that I've learned to let go a little and adapt to change. I can relate to your story here very well. Oh, I have stories to tell about how I was with my first born when it came to other people (including extended family). I've learned to trust more.... Good to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. I did stickers with both boys (and hot wheels cars). I can't really think of anything right off the bat that was different between the boys but they are only 2.5 years apart so that helps.
    I couldn't get the link to your article on Run with me Kids to work - I will have to head over manually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stickers have been great incentives with our son! You know, I didn't believe a whole lot differently with each of my kids but the reality of things changed! My ideas of no sugar and hardly any screen time? Those things became more liberal with each kid. I think this has a lot to do with A. Being tired! and B. the younger siblings having older siblings! My kids are all 2 years or younger apart. Very close in age.

      Delete
  3. This is hilarious, but - your oldest is a clever one! Smart way to get what you want at an early age. She'll probably own a company in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! Yes! Or be a lawyer when she grows up...she has a way of convincing us of her way!

      Delete
  4. It always makes me laugh at how our bar has dropped from child one to child two. And it also makes me think a lot about birth order and personalities--I mean, how can the second or third child NOT be more laid back as a result of more relaxed parenting? And yet I'm not so sure that's the case here. Nature vs. nurture...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So funny about your second child NOT being more laid back..ha ha...I get this too...You'd think my third child should be REALLY laid back but he's the MOST uptight and particular! I think because I've been the MOST unraveled as a mother once he came around. Poor little dude.

      Delete
  5. This post made me smile. I am so there with you! The sugar, cloth diapers, no plastic... I saw things slipping as Lily got older and I know it will look a little different with Julia. And we used raisins for L, too! I wonder if that will work for Julia... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you used raisins too Laura! Ha! I thought I was the only one. :) She hates raisins now but she loved them then!

      Delete
  6. We just started thinking about potty training even though we know it's a little too early we are at least trying to get him use to the idea. Mainly because changing diapers of toddler who screams bloody murder every time we make him sit still long enough to change a diaper is exhausting. If I'm exhausted with 1 I can't even fathom 3!! As for healthy eating I got lucky in that department for now he will eat anything I give him and as of right now doesn't know there are other options so to him a banana is heaven like eating a triple layered chocolate cake. I know that will change once he starts going to school and becomes wise to what I have been leaving out. :-) But hopefully some of the healthy habits will stick with him. I mean my mom use to give us a bowl of cut up fruit every day after coming home from school and I still have to have fruit every day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're doing an awesome job! I think these habits stick with some kids for sure! Once they discovered candy and junk, it's hard though. They don't get a lot of it at home but I know when they are at parties, they go all out! Oh well...moderation moderation moderation! I enjoy treats too!

      Delete
  7. I see bits of me in here. I'm pretty sure we all start out with the most high of expectations of ourselves as parents. Then fatigue sets in and we realise that it's an endurance event - we just have to make it through to the other side the best way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to read that I am not the only one to let things go a bit with my parenting expectations. It probably helps to have a family (grandparents) who won't contribute to the whole candy thing.. but older siblings definitely have an influence. We can only shelter them so long, and it becomes teaching responsibility and decision making that takes the stage.
    Nice to read a good, honest reflection, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raina!! Nope, you're not alone! And I agree with you here...giving them the opportunity to make some decisions on their own and talking to them about it...this is good stuff! Miss you...nice to see your name pop up here!

      Delete
  9. So interesting to read this tonight:) For many reasons. I just checked up on your blog and this is funny because I wrote like this mammoth long text earlier about parenting and Christmas etc. and how I had imagined exactly how I was going to be with my kids and then how things unfolded a little differently than I imagined. How easy it is to parent the kids you don't have or the kids who are not at the age that they will be one day!!! Or how logic can go out the window at times when emotions are involved. My expectations have slid a little bit and then I realize how difficult it really is to be in real situations than to be in hypothetical ones! Off topic a bit. Yap yap. Anyway, I could type paragraphs here but I best get back to my family here! Good to read you:)

    ReplyDelete