Friday, November 12, 2010

Learn Some Manners Jillian

This morning was a perfect morning.  My husband went into work late, no school, I had time to drink my coffee and read a bit before I was flying solo as a parent, and I fit in some Jillian Michaels while the kids played quietly around me.   

I guess I should start with the main reason I was able to do Jillian with all the kids around (not a normal thing).  Besides the fact that my girls were loving and kind to each other and playing perfectly together for a change, my 16 month old was fully engaged and entertained by this amazing new toy:





Recently, I asked my husband if he could design a toy for this little guy so that he wouldn't always be asking for us to lift him up to turn the lights on and off, ring the door bell, play with the faucet, and insist on playing with the electronics.  I was thinking along the lines of a flat board with metal locks, buckles and maybe a light switch attached.  However, being the electrical engineer he is, Waylon took this opportunity to "Geek Out" and design this box with light switches and buttons that will turn lights on and off and even make noise if we set it up to do that.  He even had our 5 and 3 year old learning about electrical circuits and showing them how it all worked.  Better him than me. Apparently, this toy is not finished yet.  My husband doesn't think I should share it until the finished product is ready.  He plans on adding ropes, eye hook clips, a hinged door, and much more.  Pictures to come in the future.  For now, I'm happy with it just the way it is!


Although I was envisioning something a bit more on the simple side and definitely smaller, this thing is a hit!  Who knew that just a few switches could be so fun and buy so much time for me?!




While I was bustin' my buns with Jillian, my 5 year old daughter was on the floor coloring pictures for my 3 year old.  Just after Jillian shouts out to one of the ladies on the video with a "Kristin, front and center!", my 5 year old sits up straight with her face scrunched up and says:
"Mom, that Jillian didn't even say PLEASE!  She just ordered that other lady around.  How Rude!  She isn't a mannered girl!".

I guess I don't do Jillian's Kick Butt Workout because she has manners but because her workout makes me sweat and makes my buns and legs look good. 

On a completely different note, I have a very hard decision to make by February and it seems closer than ever.  I have to decide whether to give up my teaching position in my district or go back to teaching half-time in a job share.  Hoping the answer comes to me soon.  I'm leaning more towards staying home with my kids for as long as I can but on the other hand, teaching is such a HUGE passion of mine and I feel so engaged and fulfilled when I'm doing it.  I'm sure this topic will come up again in my blogging. For now, I think it's time for a good run to help me clear my mind. 

Happy Friday! 

Amanda

10 comments:

  1. Um, I vote to stay home with the kids. Do you want opinions? I didn't get to work part time until a year ago when my oldest turned 13. I wish I would've taken the chance to do it sooner.
    And, your husband is so handy! You've got a good one there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, I would love advice and opinions. I'm feeling lost. My run just now helped me clear my head a bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work part time as a counselor for autistic children. Luckily for me, I have a great friend and next store neighbor who watches my two year old for me 3-4 hours a day.
    Its a great fit for our family. He gets his social time, and I get to use my degree and talents in the workforce.
    Every family is different and of course it needs to be the right fit for your family, but I don't think that working part time always takes away from our children, at times when appropriate, I feel it can add to our overall sense of well-being and happiness as a Mom. I feel that after working a few hours I come home refreshed ready to do craft projects with my son, take walks, and focus on spending quality time.

    This is just my experience. I am not an expert by any means on what is best for every family, you sound like a well rounded person and a great Mom. I love all the craft ideas you do with your kiddos. I am sure whatever you decide, you will make it a good fit for your family. :) Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to make this decison myself this week. Ours is purely a financial decision as my husband was laid off. And you can't feed 4 kids off unemployment for too long. So I start working part time on Monday morning. If I could stay home with my children for those few precious years before they go to school, then I totally would. And hopefully, God willing, my husband will find a job soon and I can go back to doing just that. Wish decisions like that were more black and white sometimes! Best of luck with that!

    And do you do any of Jillians other workout videos??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, and I think your hubby may be on to something! How much for one of those amazing light-up toys????? =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK- Your husband is FULL of ingenuity! What a great toy!

    Way too funny with your daughter. Kids really do say it how it is! I'm doing the 30 day Shred with my daughter right now. She has a great sense of humor and I just die laughing listening to her trash talk back to Jillian the whole time!

    Tough decision! I'm sure you'll make the right one and come to a peace about it. I stayed home with my girls when they were little but went back to work part time when I was pregnant with my son. Turned out to be the right decision for us but wasn't the easiest one to make. Hope that run helped to clear your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you about Jillian work-outs...I am always sore after:) I love how your daughter has such great manners:) What a fun toy...I want one!
    Good luck with that decision, I have NO idea what I would do. I am not good at big decisions! Hope you enjoyed your run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a GREAT toy! It's like having a piece of the children's museum at home :)

    I have never tried one of Jillian's workouts, but I am curious about those too. As long as there isn't a lot of coordination involved, like dancing! My biggest fear is that someone will come to the door while i am doing a video.

    Tough call on work. I have been having similar thoughts, but more on the lines of subbing if my hubby is able to stay home with the kids. Were you half-time before? I have heard that it's hard to be half time without investing the time/energy for full time. But on the other hand...there are few jobs that allow such opportunities while still being part time. What keeps me home is that they are only little for a little while, then it's gone.
    Not an easy decision. There is still lots of time to decide. You and your hubby will make a good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, my boys, especially Waylon would love that toy!!! I do think your Waylon is on to something, better get it in the stores fast!!! Good luck on the decision at hand.

    I need to get Jillian's workout for something to fill my time on maternity leave. Ha, that was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool toy!
    I don't envy you needing to make that decision. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete