Friday, May 10, 2013

On Conquering Fears. Lessons from Trail Running.

“Do one thing every day that scares you.” 

--Eleanor Roosevelt




I'm not quite sure why the formatting on this post is so goofy.  Really annoying but no time to figure it out so embrace the goofy (different spacing, size, font...):  

I've heard it said that one should try something that scares you every day.  This is supposed to help us live more fully?  Face our fears?  Feel liberated?  Not hold ourselves back?  Break free from monotony.  Honestly, my first reaction to this statement has always been that I'm not sure that every day brings with it something scary to try. But the older I get, the more I see things differently. I think if we look, there are little things everywhere in our day that we might avoid because they scare us in some way.   I suppose it doesn't have to be a BIG thing.  Or even something that would be defined as SCARY in the traditional sense. Maybe it is a simple as talking to a stranger or inviting someone new to dinner.  Or running in a new place.  Trying a foreign food.  Talking to your kids about a topic that you've been avoiding.  Taking on a new challenge.  It makes me think that it would be a fun challenge or writing project to live a year or a few months at a time where I'm conscious and active about doing one thing every day that scares me.  I imagine this would serve as a great personal growth opportunity.  If anything, it would make my days quite interesting and make for some good writing material.  Hmmm, maybe I'll try that one of these days...A Year of Facing Fear Every Day.

I have plenty of fear surrounding me lately.  Trust me.  This move across the country, as exciting as it is, has been one big adventure of facing fears and living in new ways.  Sometimes the fear seems a little too much for me...almost stifling.  But with each new fear that I conquer with this move (or really just this move itself), I find more freedom.  As with any big change, it takes time to find my ground.  My feet are a tad wobbly as I get settled.  I'm trying to keep all my plates spinning during a time that I feel like I'm spinning myself.  So far so good.  We are thriving, kids are happy, there's so much that we love here, we're making friends and so much more.  Everything around us is NEW.  And this can be a bit scary.


One new thing for us recently is having all three kids in school for a longer stretch of time.  This means that I have up to four hours to myself on some days.  My husband and I have decided that on one of these days we will take an hour or so to go on a trail run lunch date.  Running together (especially on trails) is our favorite date so this is really exciting for both of us.


Yesterday's first trail run date proved to be just as much a lesson in conquering fear as it was a moment of embracing beauty and love.  I'm almost embarrassed to even tell this story because of how small it seems to anyone looking in but it was actually a big deal to me yesterday for some reason.  At one point in the run, we came to a wide stream. Wide is all relative.  There was no way of crossing it unless we wanted to walk through deep water.  Since we were at the start of our run, we didn't want sopping wet feet. I know, such a small thing to worry about when on a trail run.  Ha! But I had many other errands to make and no change of shoes. Our options were to find another way around or go back another way (much less beautiful).  My husband found a place through some trees where the stream was much easier to leap across. In fact, most of you would laugh that I was even scared of it. Something so easy seemed like such a leap to me at the time.  But I was SCARED.  Like little girl-like scared.  On a different day, I might have not even have thought twice about this jump. In fact, today I'd look at it and laugh myself.  But I stood there for a good 5 to 10 minutes trying to muster up enough courage to just jump.  I felt so much fear over this silly jump.  It seemed to parallel so much of what I've been feeling about life on some days lately.  It just seemed too much for me even though it was obvious that the leap wasn't beyond my capabilities.  I finally demanded that we turn around and go back.  I cried like a little baby at my annoyance over my husband trying to get me to do something I didn't want to do and made some excuse about life being scary enough right now.


My husband, my best friend, has always been there for me.  He knows when to push me and encourage me.  He knows when to wrap me up and let me be.  He knows me.  We are good for each other in that we challenge each other to keep being the best we can be.  We're there to support, push, and catch the other if they fall.  Some days he would just let this go.  But yesterday he didn't.  He was gently persistent about me making this leap.  Maybe it was just that he desperately wanted this trail run that he took his lunch break for.  But a big part of it was because he wanted to see me face this small fear and he knew that I'd feel so much better for it.  As we were running away, he stopped me and asked me to just leap on dry ground to see that I could in fact cover the distance that it would be to get over that stream.  I did just that, still annoyed at his persistence.  And then I headed back to just get it over with.  I'm not sure it was out of being irritated that he wouldn't drop it or my desire to conquer this fear and knowing the feeling that would follow it.  Probably a bit of both but I knew I NEEDED to make that jump.


As soon as I got to the place I needed to jump from, I remembered the above quote and I pushed myself to just GO.  What's the worst that would happen?  I'd fall on my ass?  I'd get wet? I mean good grief...this is what trail running is all about!  Why so much fear over this stupid little jump?  I took a deep breath and let go.  I stopped letting that fear control me.  I took the leap.  With it came a huge feeling of freedom and relief.  It was so much more than a jump over a itty bitty stream (that felt HUGE).  It was an exercise for me.  It was a metaphor of facing life fears and realizing that fear is a liar...I mean most the things we are scared of really aren't even deserving of the energy it takes to worry.  Fear holds us back from so much.

Even if we only got four miles of actually running in before having to head back, the drive there was worth every moment of time.  The greatest gift of the run besides the beauty and time with my husband was that LEAP.  Or little jump.  Ha! It was a "Life Reinforcement"...it made me stronger.  And I'm certain that it will carry over to many other things in my life.

Freedom


What a gift that running is.  It is one of the greatest teachers in life and I'm so thankful for the lessons I've learned on the run.  Here's to facing fears!

Amanda

25 comments:

  1. I been facing my fears this season, I both in the sport and out of the sport.

    Speaking of trail running, I have my first ever trail race this weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! And Awesome! My first trail race is next weekend. 30k. Just for fun. Excited! What one?

      Delete
  2. Oh I've been there! You think of the what ifs. I'm glad you took the leap and learned from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. But there weren't many "what ifs" that were worth fear. Not sure where my BIG BABY came from. :)

      Delete
  3. LEAP!
    Love Enables All Possibilities ?

    No idea you were so afraid of water 8).

    Me, after running the San Lorenzo Marathon (water up to your chest 4 times) I would have just splish splashed through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I know...so so silly. Such a silly thing to feel fear over. Ha! Almost embarrassing really. It would have been better for me to just get wet. :)

      Delete
  4. I would love to run trails and I have two big fears with it - twisting ankles and being alone in the wilderness. I do have a hubby who loves to run so maybe one of these days he and I too can get out there together. That is such a nice way to spend quality time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear this! :) Oh, it's such a nice time to spend with your partner!

      Delete
  5. Chris and I saw 2 snakes during out last trail run...and let me tell you, I was not about to face that fear, I jumped right into his arms, ha!
    So awesome that you and Waylon are having weekly trail run dates. Chris and I love ours! Best conversations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. snakes are the real deal AM! Much more warranted to be scared of than my silly jump! :) You bet I wouldn't face that one.

      Delete
  6. I use that question a lot in my life - what's the worst that could happen? When the answer is death, I usually avoid the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes! This should be my LIFE MANTRA/QUESTION right now. What's the Worst that can happen? Yes.

      Delete
  7. What a fun opportunity you and your husband have with these lunch time run dates! I am jealous!!

    Sure would be fun to live life doing one crazy thing each day. You have a good start! One fear at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun in some ways but then again...crazy makes me crazy. I need a certain amount of down time...ha! Routine. Knowing what to expect, etc. I've had enough adventure/crazy for a little bit.

      Delete
  8. I really love trails, I never really got the chance to run them. I did two trail races in Colorado then my back surgery then we moved back to fl so I wish I was given more time to get my feet in the dirt. Fear is such a small word isn't it.. I mean why are we afraid of so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can get back to some trails Nora! Yes, fear is such a small word. Nice way to put it.

      Delete
  9. I love running dates with my husband. I feel so lucky that we are both healthy enough to run and that we enjoy doing it together. And that trail where you were running looks gorgeous!!! My little fear that I am facing right now is running my first 5k on Sunday morning. Seems silly that I have run marathons yet never faced that distance...and the last time I ran a 10k was almost a decade ago! I'm going to give this shorter distance a try. What is the worst that can happen?!

    I absolutely love the idea of doing a year or a month or something of facing a fear every day and then writing about it. What a way to grow and learn new things about yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so pretty. But not anything that Oregon doesn't have...Forest park is one of the prettiest places EVER! Hey, good luck on Sunday!! What's the worst that can happen?? You're right. You'll probably kill it!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you did it!!!
    I'm so with you on the fact that what scares us one day might not be a big deal the next day or week - it's so true!!!
    The next fear (whether big or small), you will be able to look back on this run and gain courage from the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy how running is always teaching us a lesson, huh?

    I'm also in the midst of reading a book called "Willpower" (by Roy Baumeister and John Tierney) - stick with me, there's a point here - and they talk a lot about a phenomenon known as "decision fatigue". In other words, people have a certain capacity for making smart, rational, well-thought-out decisions, but once that store is "used up", they start making poor decisions, or struggling to make easy decisions. [One example would be a smart, savvy politician who thinks his careless late-night philandering won't get caught.]

    I think this - along with a bit of "new experience fatigue" - probably played into what happened on the run. You've been competently addressing and conquering SO MANY new situations, that this one little one suddenly seemed out of control and overwhelming. I suspect this means you're normal. :)

    Glad you have a partner that helped you (literally) OVER the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving that you are having weekly running dates with your husband. What a great chance to connect with all that is going on.
    Now as far as trails they are a huge fear for me....I run a really kept up trail a couple of times of week and I wish that you could see my knees from tripping and falling....any more technical and it might not be so pretty.
    congrats of facing your fear.....I am going to try to do that more this month. fingers crossed. xoxoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saturday morning blog reading!!

    First off, I like that book idea!!! This would be a great book! Don't bury this-give it some thought! The simple things you mention like talking to a stranger or inviting someone new to dinner. Talking to your kids about something you've been avoiding...makes me think of all you could write here!

    Love that you get to go on these trail runs with Waylon!!

    "It was a metaphor of facing life fears and realizing that fear is a liar...I mean most the things we are scared of really aren't even deserving of the energy it takes to worry. Fear holds us back from so much." I like this:) A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH I love it, I love it, I love it. I was thinking the other how running is SUCH a metaphor for my life - I learn so many life lessons while out running. And this my friend - was such a real one! This is great stuff - we ALL have that fear in our chests sometimes, that panic, that feeling that we can't do it. We can. You can. You are so much braver than you think are Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's what running is all about, running in and with nature. Today I saw two rattle snakes,awesome! That's all I do is run trails, getting vertical, up down steep rocky trails. In sandals too. I proud to say I haven't run not one mile on pavement or treadmill. I wouldn't run if that was my option!

    ReplyDelete