Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ramble Run 12k Run and Where I'm at with Running and Fitness


Mother's Day weekend is off to a great start!  And I must say...I LOVE this running for fun gig!  I'm so happy not to be training for something specific right now.  Running for the pure joy of running is just what I need right now in this season of my life.  And that's just it, it's a season.  It won't be long before I'll be craving another goal race and I'll be printing off my training plans, visualizing goals, being conscious of bedtimes and race nutrition, etc.  Until then, bring on the fun running.  And it has been just that.  Fun.  Wonderful.  Freeing.  My focus has shifted from tempos, marathon pace runs, and endurance work to...
whatever
my
body and spirit
tell me that I
need.

I don't really log my mileage when I'm not training but if I really think about it, I'd say I've run a total of 50 miles since Boston.  Not per week.  Total.  How many weeks has that been?  Four?  Well, I took the first 2 weeks off completely and then I've worked my way back into running very very slowly.  My longest run has been a 10 miler just a few days ago but I'm mostly running between 4 to 6ish miles when I run.  I've been spending my time focusing on:

  • Seeing a Chiropractor to get some things figured out with my spine/hips/feet
  • Going to a Physical Therapist to strengthen my hips, glutes and get this quad healed up.  
  • Running slow and easy (no speed)
  • Strength...nothing too focused but definitely hip and glute work in addition to push ups, pull ups (I'm up to about 5 or 6 again...hope to do 8 to 10 by end of summer...10 proper pull ups), lunges, squats, dips, etc. etc.  
  • Loving my body with where its at. I think women get better at this with age perhaps. I'm definitely up in weight compared to a year ago but I'm really embracing my fuller legs/buns that come with more hills and strength.  My jeans are tighter in the legs but I feel STRONG.  And my husband likes the extra curves so I'm hoping that some of that stays on as I increase mileage.  Unfortunately, the boobs are the FIRST to go as I increase my fitness level.  Oh well, I've come to find myself really embracing the small boobs these days too.  It goes with the whole package...strong, lean, fit, and flat.  Ha!  
  • Being positive with myself and being open to trying new things....Like my first Trail Race next weekend.  I'm in no condition to seriously race a 30k trail race but I'm going to have fun and be prepared to run strong and happy and slow...oh, and I'll fully prepared to die!  Ha!  It's called the Cradle to the Grave 30k.  Excited!  It looks beautiful.  And I'll be able to wear my new Brooks PureGrit2s!  
  • Running Hills.  I have no choice if I'm going to run outside in Asheville, NC. So much hillier than where I came from.  And I don't mind...I think these hills are going to help so much.  Beats the Treadmill (which I haven't trained on in what feels like FOREVER).  
Today was my first fun Asheville race.  My husband and I ran the Ramble Run 12k together.  Oh what a course!  Holy Hills.  Glad we weren't out to race race.  Considering my lack of training right now, I would have killed myself on those hills instead of have had fun on them like I did today!  



What a beautiful run!  Not only did I get to run with my best friend, but we had fun doing it.  The race offered free child care through the YMCA and then we picked the kids up to run their Kid Run.  So, the whole family raced.


I was pleasantly surprised to win 1st place in my AG.  I'll take it.  Glad most of the people ran the 5k.  I'm perfectly happy with a 7:48 average on a very hilly 12k course considering we were running close to 9:45 pace on those up hills.  It felt great to finish with a smile and talk a bit with my husband during the race.  Such a different feeling to run for fun as opposed to a time goal.  Gosh, I've missed running with him!

I raced in my Brooks PureCadence2s and my Brooks D'lite Micro Mesh Racerback Tank.  It has become my favorite tank to race in.  Super thin and light.  Perfect for warm weather when you don't want to just wear a sports bra.



Then I came home to find a box of more Mother's Day love!  My new pair of Brooks PureGrits2 and PureFlows for my 8 year old daughter.  Love sharing what I love with my kids.


It's a good day!  Happy Mother's Day Mamas!

Amanda 

21 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that things are going so well!
    You seem to be loving life and happy which is awesome!!
    Happy Mothers Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER job today!! And on a WICKED course! What a great Mother's Day family date:) Thought of you a bunch on my very very flat and painfully unscenic run today-ha!

    I'm so happy to see you happy and content and loving this season of running. I think it's fitting into your life PERFECTLY right now!! Love this! I just came from an "off training" season of 8 months (WOW-long time) and honestly think it was one of my best decisions ever!! How fun to venture into the trail running scene too! A dream for me one day!

    Happy Mother's day girl! Love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Cradle to Grave race looks beautiful!! I almost wish I lived down there so I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly what Jenn said with one addition: You look HOT! And I loved that pic of you alone with those long strong legs. Did I make it up or you took it out! It needs to be shown:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, where is that pic!! I saw it too and now it's gone! That was a great pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's back. :) I'll private message you about why I took it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First things first- you and your family are adorable! I just ordered the D'lite shirts; so I am glad to hear great things about it. Did you size down? My training partner suggested I do that...

    Next- I think the recovery period after a big race is so important, not only physically, but mentally. Training is exhausting in all areas, and that time is really refreshing. I need to do better with that aspect of my running.

    I'm so glad to see you happy in NC! I've been there a few times and LOVE IT! A friend of mine lives in Boone, and I plan to make the visit up there sometime in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fabulous - so great! This adventure is obviously working for all of you - a race with childcare? How amazing! that would have solved things for me when my kidoodles were tiny. Nice one! And an AG win? Nice! Nice average pace for a non-race as well...

    Great to see you on such good form and on that lovely porch - I rooted for that house all along...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda, You look fabulous! I wish we had hills so readily available, I would run them all the time! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strength & Body Love = SOOOO important. There's a reason we train in phases and cycles... A long, strong running career requires some down time, and time to rediscover/remember the fun. Glad you got to race with your best friend on (what looks like) a challenging-but-excellent course!

    PS Small boobs are the price that many of us pay for speed and strength. I figure they are, at least, more efficient. And they don't help me climb hills, so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Mother's day!

    Hope you have a great day.
    The whole family looks very healthy and happy..

    -p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Mother's Day and nice running!

    Running vs. training are quite different animals. Training was meant to be seasonal, but sometimes we lose sight of it. Glad you didn't! Keep up the progress-whatever it may look like:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get what you mean sharing your love with your kids. I got to run with my youngest yesterday in a race - his first. He really enjoyed himself and I think there'll be more of them in his future. And I really enjoyed sharing it with him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like Adrienne said running vs training very different!! I am back on running and won't be training for at least a year. I've got to be happy in this moment.

    Happy mothers day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm entering a season of fun running right now too... marathon training will start in July/August, so I have two months to do whatever I want, and I'm loving it.
    Congrats on first place!! That's a speedy pace for such a hilly course. And genius of the Y to offer childcare, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like everything is going SO well for you. This post made me so happy! Running for fun is pretty great. It sounds like you're taking great care of yourself. Can I just say (again), I adore you and your husband? Well, I just did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a fab fab time with the family. Glad you enjoyed it.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Mothers Day

    Congrats on the race

    and good luck at your first trail race!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy to hear how well you're settling into Asheville! I keep hoping that one day I will run past you on a run. If a mixed girl ever runs by you and looks like she's freaking out, it's me being a little star struck! Also, I was hoping that you could write a post sometime on your efforts to find a running group in Asheville. I have an old High School acquaintance moving back to Asheville after a long absence and she is in your pace range. I'd like to be able to give her some good advice, but honestly I don't know many people as fast as y'all! Happy Running!

    Katie Descieux
    Asheville Native :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice site. Can I just ask,, do you do any triathlons?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete