It's 2013. I'm already loving this year and I couldn't be happier for a fresh start. Funny how we are with new years. As if we somehow get a reset on life when really it is just another day after the days before. I think that's why there are many people out there that are so anti-resolutions. But I say, hey, whatever works to give us a fresh perspective on our life. Yes, we make goals throughout the year and we can always make changes in our world but there is something about the new year, the fresh calendar, the month of January that just says CLEAN SLATE! And what's the harm in setting resolutions anyway? Even if we don't end up keeping all of them. At least we are working towards something...trying to make positive changes and be proactive, right? Goals...resolutions...same thing to me.
So, how can we make resolutions that stick? Lasting ones? Ones that we can have success with so that we don't find ourselves fizzling out 2 weeks down the road of 2013?
- Keep it simple. Don't set resolutions and goals that are so big you burn out the first week.
- Start small. Baby steps. Don't expect things to just happen overnight.
- Make your goals meaningful to you. Your goals don't have to be popular or trendy or even accepted by anyone other than YOU.
- Celebrate success no matter how small it is.
- Love ourselves along the way and expect to hit some walls...anything worth working towards is worth pushing past the sticky spots. It won't all be smooth sailing ahead. As with anything in life, there will be the moving ahead, the staying still, and the taking a few steps back.
- Enjoy the process. By all means, have fun! Let's not take ourselves so seriously...let's remember to enjoy the ride.
Some brief thoughts for myself for 2013:
- Love More
- Judge less
- Laugh often
- Let things go so that I can fully enjoy the present moments
- Be open to change
- Live my life the way I would want my "life story" to be read
- Get rid of guilt...it is worthless
- Face Fear head on
- Enjoy the process
- Keep running fun and remember why I do it...to stay healthy, connect with my best self, and stay goal driven in all areas of my life
- Model love, forgiveness, acceptance for my kids
- Be the kind of friend I want my friends to be to me
And some of my morning reflections over coffee:
In remembering to have the same love, grace and patience for ourselves as we do for the people that mean the most to us, we might need to take a step back and see things from another angle. Chances are, if we are too hard on ourselves, it is likely that we are equally as hard on those we love most. Let's take some pressure off in 2013...embrace a little more grace, love, and the imperfections that lead to learning.
What are some simple goals, resolutions or things you want to focus on for the new year?
What will you do this year to love yourself more fully?
How will you go easier on YOU and still push yourself to be the best YOU you can be? For me, this is easy...stop with the guilt over everything I'm not doing and CELEBRATE the things I am doing!
Follow Runninghood on Facebook