Saturday, October 19, 2013

Learning With and For Our Children...This Mother's Beginning Steps in Learning About OCD


There's been lots of reading at our house lately.  Much more than usual.  Seems like a new box of books arrives at least once a week and I'm pretty sure that at this point, we are some of Amazon's favorite customers.  Most of the books we've been ordering have been books to help us learn about some pretty big things that our son has been going through. At least they are big to us.  I'm sure some of you saw my post this morning but luckily there weren't too many.  Really, it was a post that taken out of context, won't make a lot of sense to anyone anyway.  More of a journal entry type of post.  One that means way more to me than I could explain or express in writing right now.  I spoke of a random but not random dream I had about my dad (even though I didn't say what the dream was) and some of the thoughts it brought up for me.  That alone would be something that would take knowing me, my heart, my life, and my dream details to understand anyway.   I also shared a pretty painful motherhood moment from last night in regards to my son and his recently diagnosed OCD.  A topic I haven't spoken of on here yet but one that has been perhaps the biggest part of my life over the last year. I've avoided talking about it for several reasons:

  1. I haven't been so sure what exactly is going on with him and I wasn't ready to slap a label on him like the therapists I've talked to have done.  
  2. Fear.  I didn't feel like I knew enough about OCD to even understand what it was and what implications it held for my child.  
  3. My son's fears and behavior issues have been so all over the place...so inconsistent...I've been in a state of exasperation most days.  Just stressed to the max....wanting to escape.  Almost hide from it.  Writing about it?  Well, I just wasn't ready.  
  4. Painful.  It's so so painful to watch our children struggle with things.  Some days are so much harder than others.  We have good days and bad days.  On and off.  Steps forward and steps back.  But at this point, I'm certain we are dealing with OCD and I'm ready to talk about it because I know that I'm not the only one.  There are others in this world dealing with the same thing and by telling my story, I know that I'll connect with others.  Community is always better than standing alone. 
An excerpt from my previous post about last night:  

.....Maybe because of how difficult last night was for me as a mother.  A night of seeing how deeply my son is struggling right now with some issues I feel so inadequate in helping him with at times.  It is so painful for me to see my child in fear.  His mouth raw from rubbing it for fear of germs.  His fear of being near his parents when we have coffee in our hands because of the smell.  His freak out about the bite we took from his popsicle.  The phrases he repeats over and over to make things feel right.  His OCD.  Irrational fears.   This is all so new to me.  I know he is young and I know that we will get through this.  I know that I'm his mother for a reason and I'm willing to give him all the love, time, attention and patience that I have.  I know all will be okay and that others have much bigger things to face.  But it is NEVER easy to see our children hurt.  I can't think of anything more painful for me than to see my child in pain...in fear.  It is easily the hardest thing I've experienced.  But at the same time, I can think of nothing more rewarding and beautiful and amazing and inspiring than to see my brave brave little boy fight back and face his fears.  Not a day goes by lately that I don't go to bed a stronger person.  Wiser.  Braver.  And in awe of the lessons that my son is teaching me along this journey.  There are many more steps forward than there are steps back.

Last night was a big step back for my little guy.  He was struggling more than usual.  This was a moment where I didn't care that he was the kid in the restaurant making the scene.  I didn't care if others were judging or assuming that he was just being a bad kid.  I didn't care about or see anything else around me except my son.  And thank God my husband was there to take over because all I could do was put my head down on the table and cry.  In pain.  It was a night that I had no answers.  It was one of those moments that I just wanted to be a child and lean on someone bigger and wiser than me. Someone who wasn't feeling the same pain over this issue.  Someone that loved me fully and that was there to just wrap me up and tell me that things were going to be okay.  Because they will.


Here are some things from right now that I do know:

  • Things are going to be okay.  
  • We will have good days and bad days.  
  • Sometimes it is hard to tell if my son is just having some major mood swings, anger issues and behavior problems or if he is dealing with something related to OCD.  Probably both.  
  • There are so many resources out there!  Books to read, cognitive behavioral therapy, and people to talk to.  
  • OCD is one of the MOST common disorders that people deal with  and it is very treatable.  Yay!
  • My son has always been a fearful little guy.  Even as a baby he was scared of things that most of our kids thought to be funny.  
  • OCD isn't caused by something I did as a mother.  It is so hard not to blame ourselves for things our kids are struggling with.  I've had thoughts over and over about how hard this move has been for him, on whether or not my parenting style has been too much for him...so many things!  
  • It is interesting to see how my son fights back against his fears.  His compulsions are different every couple of weeks...this isn't always typical.  The therapist thinks this could be a sign that he is fighting back quickly.  
  • I've learned more from this brave and wise little boy than most people in my life.  I learn from him daily and I'm in constant awe of him. 
  • It is a relief in a sense to know more of what is going on with him instead of just thinking my kid is a HANDFUL and not knowing what to do as a parent.  
  • I can tell that it is a relief to him too.  To know that we are here to listen and help.  When we talk about his fears and try to separate the OCD fears from HIM, he is so open to working with us and working through his irrational fears.  Even though he knows that it doesn't make sense to be scared or worried about something, it is still so hard for him to push through that.  He's been terrified of the shower FOREVER but recently we faced that together and by going all the way through with it and not backing down, he not only saw the power of facing a fear (a very REAL fear to him even though most of you probably wouldn't see the shower as a scary thing) but he realized HIS POWER in being able to do so.  Now he loves the shower.  
  • This week has been harder than most.  My son's mouth is red and raw from licking and rubbing in attempt to keep germs out.  He's been afraid of being near me or my husband when we are drinking coffee or beer because of the smell and kissing me on the lips is on hold for now.  Who knows what it will be next week.  Maybe nothing...that's just it, sometimes we have perfect weeks where nothing happens at all...where he is a happy, easy going kid and we think it is all better.  
  • So far, school is easy.  He loves school and the teachers have never noticed anything out of the ordinary.  He's social and follows rules. Bright.  Enthusiastic.  No problem.  But from what I read, this can be common...and then they come home and practically explode from keeping it all in.  This explains a lot in regards to the fits I sometimes get to experience later on in the day.  
  • I'm thankful for one friend in particular who encouraged me to get help after a rather rough week in July where we were visiting him in Charleston.  During this week, my son was so compulsive with his constant need to say sorry and tell on himself for every little thing (apologizing and confessing are two common compulsions related to OCD).  This was maddening for me and now that I think of it, it was probably how he feels in his head almost every day.  Poor little guy.  


Well, there's a little bit of my world lately.  Not all running.  Not all happy motherhood moments.  But certainly all WORTH IT.  I'm learning so much and I'll continue to do so.  I'm so so blessed to have a husband that is beyond supportive and loving as a father and best friend/partner to me.  Together, we can do anything!  Especially for one brave beautiful little boy that we love beyond words.


Amanda 

You can also find Runninghood on:

19 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you guys are going through this. I have a 7 year old client with OCD (I'm a therapist). It's a difficult road to navigate, that's for sure. Good for you for being proactive and a good advocate for your child. Just be careful to not get too overwhelmed with all of the info available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can surely be overwhelming at times. Thanks Suzanne.

      Delete
  2. Your son is blessed to have y'all for his parents - you are exactly what he needs, parents that will love him through the tough times and figure out how to make his world easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! As others said, I'm sorry that your little son is dealing with this and he is definitely blessed to have you as a mom. My son was diagnosed with autism spectrum when he was just 3. I know that's different, but what's funny is that the last few months and you've mentioned little things about your boy, I was reminded of my struggles with my son. He's 10 now. (And one time at McDonald's playland was one of those awful moments!) I understand what you're saying about labels. I hated labeling! But at this point, you use that label to get him the help that he needs! Someone once gave me this quote " “No one wants to label their kids as ‘special needs,’” she continues, “But are you more worried about a label or your child’s needs? Use the label to achieve what your child needs.” And that is true. One time I was doing a questionnaire about my son, trying to get him into a special preschool. We had to answer the same questions over and over. And one of them was "can he walk up stairs one after the other or does he use both feet for each step?" I was like "oh, he walks right up the stairs, one after another" the awesome person helping me was "Let's just say he can't." If there's ever an inkling that an issue is developing, state it. And use that label to get help. You have to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT to get help for your son. And truthfully, I can promise you that every ounce of help you give him now, at this young age, will benefit him tenfold the older he gets. It's tough dealing with issues with young kids, because toddlers...4, 5 year olds, just naturally have traits that coincide with OCD or the spectrum. I had such a hard time relinquishing control and asking for help with therapy and everything. My son is 10 now, and spectrum isn't on his school chart, but he still has days. I'm just so grateful we started working on his issues when he was young. To end this comment with "Good luck" doesn't seem right. I'm totally not a hugger, but that's what I'm sending...strength to keep working, and reading, and talking. And strength for your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janalyn. Your words mean so much tonight. And I felt your hug. That's what your comment was. One big understanding hug. I appreciate your story...it helps so thanks for commenting here. Glad your son is doing better ...so glad he had you as his advocate to fight for him. I'm fighting for my son for sure...definitely worth the fight...I love him so so much. Tonight was a good night...it was as if his head was completely clear...I love these nights of clarity with him...where he is just one big ball of love and sweetness without a care in the world.

      Delete
  4. Oh Amanda, reading this makes me wish you were closer! We love you, we love him. We were driving on 174th the other day and Lily asked if he was back yet. He is never far from her thoughts as she mentions him often. You are in our prayers, both of you! You are strong and YOU are his mother for a reason, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, love you Steph. Thank you so much. We miss you guys.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry, Amanda. While I'm not dealing with OCD, I am dealing with some issues with my oldest (possible ADHD and/or learning disability--we're in the process of finding out), and I know how disheartening it all can be to see your child struggle. It's a daily battle requiring patience that I often don't seem to have, But I'm trying! We'll get through this, and we'll come through it better moms, right? Or so I keep telling myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs to you Allison. So hard to see our kids struggle for sure! Keep trying! Yes, we will come out of it better...stronger..wiser. Yes yes! And so will our children!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to read this. I wish I could give your son a hug, and that magically that would let him find his way. My daughter is touch sensitive, and I have watched her struggle. It is painful to watch. A lot of love, non-judging mommying, and years of teaching skills to help them put things in perspective really does work. It is harder when they're young, but patience and getting them in touch with who they are (and how to manage) puts them ahead of the game when they hit their teen years - when everyone's child struggles. God bless <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much girl. I bet this is so hard for you. Yes, lots of love and non-judging and learning...patience, love, support! Thanks for the comments.

      Delete
  7. Oh Amanda - I'm so sorry that you've been having such a struggle. It's hard when your kids are hurting because it hurts us so much too. All we want to do is make it better and sometimes it's so much harder than taking them out to buy an ice cream. Sam is just such a lucky boy to have been born to parents who will do their absolute best to help him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Char. Yes, so hard but it will all be worth it. Thanks for your words.

      Delete
  8. We recently adopted a little girl with a special need. I thought I was prepared but there are days when I feel alone because I don't want the entire world to know her story. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting Sheila. Big hugs to you. Gosh, it is hard to tell our stories...especially when it involves our children's story...at least these parts of them. But there's always someone else out there that is experiencing similar things.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry that your little boy is going through this, and that you're having to watch him go through this, but I'm glad that he has parents who are willing to help him work through his issues. I'd echo the comment about labels being helpful in accessing help/programs/information and also in building an understanding in others what your little guy is dealing with. Best of luck to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to comment on your previous post, but I guess it's gone. I did get a chance to read it. We had simliar experiences albeit different. My father passed away with lots of anger and unanswered questions. So, it still hits me when I hear a zz top song or in December. I do understand what you are going through. It's okay to have felt the way you did and to feel the way you do now.

    I'm sorry that your boy is going through this heavy case of OCD. So you get the big strong parent awards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was married for five years without any child,because of this my husband start acting very strange at home,coming home lately and not spending time with me any more. and because of this my husband divorce me. So i became very sad and lost in life because my doctor told me there is no way for me to get pregnant this really make life so hard for me and my family.my friend told me abou LIVINGFAITH SPELL CASTER from the Internet,how he has helped people with this similar problem that i am going through so i contacted him and explain to him.he cast a reunite spell to bring back my husband and it was a miracle three days later my husband can back to apologize for all he has done and told me he is fully ready to support me in any thing i want,few month later i got pregnant and gave birth to twins (girls) we are happy with ourselves. Thanks to dr.for saving my relationship and for also saving others too. continue your good work, If you are interested to contact him and testify this blessings like me, the great spell caster email address is:livingfaithspellcaster@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete