Monday, November 10, 2014

The Other Side of the Start/Finish Line. A New Perspective as Emcee.




I mentioned in my last few posts that I was going to write more about being EMCEE for the Sister's Happy Girl Trail Half Marathon and 5k last weekend.  As is typical when you postpone writing about something, it becomes less fresh in your mind!  So, bullet points it is!

  • When Lay It Out Events asked if I wanted to be the EMCEE for this event, my first instincts were to run the other way.  Why?  Well, the idea of being on the other side of the finish line with a microphone in my hand sounded scary!  I've always RACED the races. Being the voice behind that microphone was unfamiliar territory.  
  • My next thoughts after deciding not to run the other way and give an automatic "NO!" was to think about how I'd actually like this role if I could just get over the initial nerves. After all, I was a teacher for ten years and public speaking has always been something I can do just fine.  I also thought of how saying "YES!" opens doors to new things in life.  So, yes yes it was.  
  • I still felt nervous.  I admit, I thought several times about how I could get out of it (not seriously...I knew I'd go through with it).  I just kept telling myself what the awesome race organizers kept telling me:  "You're just a voice!  Just stick to the script until you get comfortable and you're good to go!"  
  • Before leaving for the race, I woke up to have coffee while watching the NYC Marathon!  Such inspiration watching this marathon!  I was bummed to have to leave before the race was done. But my friend kept me updated with texts about how my friend Marci (her race report here: Runner Marci: NYC Marathon) was doing so I still felt like I was part of the action.  
Driving into Sisters, Oregon (20ish minutes from Bend) never gets old!  
  • I took my nine year old daughter with me.  She's such a source of strength and comfort in my life!  She knew I was nervous but promised not to tell anyone. Ha!  Just having her on my lap during my first greetings and getting the racers on the starting line was SO NICE!  After about thirty minutes, she was out running around and finding ways to volunteer. She ended up being one of the kids to hand out finishing medals. Really cool to see.  She kept running over to me to get a turn cheering the runners on and to whisper in my ear, "You're doing a good job Mama!"  
My little wanna be EMCEE.  She actually did a great job with the little parts she did do!  She was great at adjusting the music and volume controls!

  • I kept noticing finishers with a yellow shirt that said Lotus Girls on the back and Powered by Ellie on the front.  Such a huge group!  I had to know their story so I asked someone to come tell me. They were a group of friends there to run in honor of their friend Ellie Booher who died this past spring and had raced this race last year.  Such a touching story.  Ellie's husband and two sons were there too.  Her youngest son (age 5) was one of the kids handing out medals to the finishing women.  Reading about Ellie and seeing these women there to celebrate her and run in her honor tells me she was an incredible woman!  Makes me wish I would have known her. 

Ellie's son (see story above) handing out medals.  So touching.  

  • One of the things I was MOST inspired and energized by was how many kids who were running with their mom to the finish line!  So sweet!  

Here are some reflections from this experience:
  • Doing things that scare you is empowering!  
  • Every experience is another door that opens to new opportunities.  
  • It was so awesome to be part of this event.  Such a great way to get connected with the running community here in Central Oregon!  
  • Every name read...every woman crossing that finish line...there was a story behind it! 
  • The time flew!  All 4 hours of announcing half marathon finishers was energizing.  
  • I saw the start and finish line from a different perspective.  The time on the clock meant nothing compared to the PERSON...the woman finishing that race.  Mothers, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, friends!  Such beautiful smiles with each finish.  It was truly an honor to be announcing their name and cheering for them as they ran down that last stretch!  
  • One woman came up to me before she left and introduced herself as a blog reader/friend.  I recognized her name right away and was so glad she took the time to say hello!  she was here all the way from MN too!
  • I think I've always just raced without giving much thought to all that goes into a race:  organization, course, medals, food, music, announcers, etc.  I do notice these things but not like I will now.  I saw much of the behind the scenes stuff that goes into making these events great.  And I must say, Lay It Out Events puts on a great event!  
  • If you would have asked me even a month ago about my opinions about races, I probably would have said races are for racing and less about a social experience.  However, after this experience, I see that for many, a race like this is about so much more than "racing"...it's an experience..a memory...time with a friend or family member...in honor of...a statement or lesson...an adventure...  Racing isn't the same for everyone and that's OK!  I think that's one of the things that makes running such a great sport!  It's different for all of us!  
  • I'm so glad I took my daughter with me. And more importantly, that she wanted to go.  I think she was inspired and empowered too!  At the very end of the race when finishers were coming in at 3-4 plus hours, she was still there with a huge smile on her face, excited to cheer those women in and give them their medals.  
  • I love the running community here in Bend!  After this race, I am more motivated than ever to get more involved...with running groups, volunteering at races, offering support through my blog, etc.  Oh, and...um....RACING!!   
Have you had an "on the other side of the finish/start line" experience that gave you a new perspective at a race?  Maybe you were a volunteer or even there to support a group running for a cause?  

16 comments:

  1. Last spring, I spectated at a half marathon I was supposed to run. My first DNS ever, but I was in a boot with a broken foot. I had planned to run it with my friends, and so I decided to go cheer them on. It was a blast! And so fun to see the race from a different perspective. I got to see the elites come in, and then the middle of the packers! I really enjoyed myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a similar experience. The Portland Marathon 2010...was supposed to race it but got my first serious injury and ended up cheering instead. But I loved that I could support my friends.

      Delete
  2. Aww, this sounds like it was so energizing for you! And your daughter is just so sweet. What a great experience for her, too. I had no doubt you would be amazing!
    I spectated the Houston Olympic Marathon Trials and the Houston marathon- both were so inspiring. It's a sport to be on your feet spectating too- gave me more respect for all those who come out to cheer for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Oh, what a neat experience for you! Yes, definitely makes you respect this stuff more!

      Delete
  3. I have been looking forward to this post! I know I'd be nervous that I'd mispronounce names. But I'm sure you did a killer job because you're so outgoing and encouraging. I love that your daughter was there to give you a boost. She must take after you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mispronounced lots of names for sure but I just went with it and made the best out of it. There were some hard names too!! Thanks Gracie. :)

      Delete
  4. Very cool! I ran the 5K and heard you on the MC but had no idea it was you. I'll look out for you at more races in Central Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is cool! Yes, say hi if you see me! I'm not sure I'll be emceeing many more races but if they ask me and I'm not racing, then why not! :)

      Delete
  5. Love that your daughter went with you and was such a help - she has learned from the best!!
    Amazing story about the Lotus runners - sweet to see her son passing out medals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad she was there with me. Thanks Kim. And yes, so sweet to see her son handing out medals. Made me tear up a bit. touching.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What an amazing experience. So glad you said YES to doing this new and "scary" task. I am pretty sure I would have been petrified but you are right- so many new doors open when we take a step and try something new. This sounds like such a fun and positive race environment. I have not experienced a race from this side of it yet but reading this makes me think I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I said Yes too. And I was scared. ha! Yes, definitely a fun and positive race environment...I think, if anything, getting on the other side of the finish line more often makes us more aware of all the little and big things that go into making our race experiences good ones.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you did this!! I knew you would be perfect for it and what a great chance to get out there and get involved in the somewhat local running community!! I would love to volunteer at races in the coming years! Glad E came with you and was such a great support to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Sounds like an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you stepped out of your comfort zone and gave it a shot. Just reading about it has made me want to do something that scares me. Not sure what yet. But I'll let you know when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was SO sad that I did not get to do this race this year (it was all sold out) and now I wish I had even more. I ran the Sister’s Happy Girls last year and loved it, although it rained hard on us near the last few miles. It is such a great event. How cool that you got the opportunity to EMCEE! How did you get this opportunity? What a great way to get involved with another dynamic of the race environment and meet new people around Central Oregon. You haven’t lived here that long and already you are venturing out and doing things that most locals have never done. That was probably a great experience for your daughter as well. Perhaps you will run it race next year? ☺

    ReplyDelete