Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kinvaras, Mizunos, and Calf Compression Sleeves. What's Your Take?


Yesterday, I decided that it was the day to get my Secret Santa gift for my "person" so after seeing the movie Tangled with my sweet girls, we headed over to one of my favorite local running stores, The Portland Running Company.  They were having an awesome sale on everything, including up to 50% on 2010 shoe models.  I went with the intention of just buying something fun for the blog gift exchange but  in the back of my mind I knew that I wanted to sneak a peak at these Saucony Kinvara shoes that everyone is talking about.  I didn't think I would end up buying them but I did and I don't regret it a bit!  I'm so excited to slowly work my way into them.  The owner of the Portland Running Company advised me to start with wearing them one day a week and slowly work my way up into wearing them during speed workouts and racing in them.  They feel amazing!  And they just look gorgeous.  Forget the iPhone that I had on my Christmas list...if I've gone this long without an Internet phone, I can go longer.  But these...way better than any phone.   Maybe Santa will bring me the phone too.  What do you say Santa?!



Aren't they lovely?!  Not the best picture, I know.  



I also decided to try a new brand of shoe.  I have never run in Mizuno before so I would love to hear your thoughts if you have personal experience.  I found these Wave Inspire 6 Mizunos for 50% off so I only paid $50.  What an awesome deal.  I also got my husband a new pair of shoes for 50% off!   


So, these babies are what I really need advice about.  I was convinced that these calf compression sleeves are all the rage and that they are only a good thing in the running world.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the size so I will have to go back and exchange my XS for a S or M even.  Does anyone know if these RecoFit sleeves are a good brand?  What about your experience with compression sleeves or socks?  What would you recommend as far as brands, style, etc?

Also, how often do you use your compression sleeves/socks?  Do you use them for every workout (before, during, after) or racing?  Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.



Of course, I got a few things for my secret person but  I'm not going to include those photos. ;)  I hope they like their gift!  I'll be sending it out this week.  Thanks again to Jill for organizing this gift exchange!

Recap:

1.  If you own a pair of Saucony Kinvara shoes, please share your experience with them.  How often to you wear them?  Do you love, like, dislike them?  


2.  Compression Calf Sleeves/socks.  What kinds do you recommend?  How often do you use them? 


Amanda


p.s.  After my post yesterday about Baby Legs As Running Sleeves, I had a few of you suggest I do a Baby Legs Giveaway, so be on the lookout.  Seriously, all you running mamas out there, baby legs are awesome for your kids and they work great as running sleeves for you when you need them.  They also make great gifts.  Check them out on facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/babylegs

21 comments:

  1. I have pink Zensah leg sleeves and love them. I need to go put them in my bag for tomorrow after the half. I wore them during both halves two weekends ago when I did them back to back. Tomorrow I'll wear them after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I have compression calf sleeves. I use them when my calves seem to hurt or be extra tight. I have never worn them running but I have worn them to bed! Romantic, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have CEP compression socks and love them for after long runs or races. They feel awesome and decrease soreness. love NEW shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have NO advice on either of these topics that is worth anything! Ha!!

    But ...do you wear a neutral shoe? Lucky girl...so many options! I need stability and won't venture out of the realm of that category- but I found some lightweight competition shoes at Adidas (the tempo) and have them waiting for me to test soon.

    Now you need to do a product review of both the sleeves and the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't have compression calf sleeves but am thinking of getting some. I do have 2XU compression tights which I wear after long runs but think I might start wearing during small ones. They are meant to be tight - getting into my tights is a STRICTLY private moment as it is resembles nothing so much as a sausage being wodged into its casing. I think the Zensah ones are meant to be really good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear those mizunos and they are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have and love my mizunos. I have a nasty neuroma on my toe and they are the only shoes that don't bug it. Also, they are very light and make me feel like a cheets (or some similar fast creature.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I am in Denver (Boulder) and it's 19 deg and it's 6:30 a.m. and I need to go on my run and I am a California native and I don't less than, say, 40 deg. Uh oh. BTW, no pics of Jill and I drinking, but we did get a good one in the parking lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried to stray but Mizunos are my BFFs.

    No experience with calf sleeves (one day hopefully) but I do love my recovery socks especially CEP and Sigvaris. I wear them after races and long runs that are 10+ miles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the Zenash compression leg sleeves and i'm pretty happy with them. I usually wear them after long runs to let my legs recover. Seems to work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have CEP compression socks and leg sleeves, I love the socks for recovery and the calf sleeves for running

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the CEP compression socks and LOVE them! I use them for long runs (18M or higher) and for recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all! I think I need to look into the CEP compression socks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some Adidas compression sleeves and I love them. I want to try other brands to see if they differ at all - but I only paid $12 for them at the Eugene Running Company - so I can't really complain!

    I wore them once and was immediately hooked. I wear them every time I run now and will leave them on for quite a while after because they feel so good. When my leg bothered me last week I actually wore them under my clothes to work and after a while my leg felt back to normal. I don't know if it really helped, or if it was mental, but either way I love them!

    And for myself I like just the sleeve. That way my toes can feel free after the run when I'm cooling off and letting my legs recover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my Kinvara's!!!!! And seriously, so cute! They feel like air when I run. I did have a little issue with them slipping on my heal at first, and I did have to go up a 1/2 size with them than my origian New Balance running shoe. But our shoe store taught me how to tie them using that extra hole that you always just assume they accidentally put in the shoe. If you don't know what I'm talking about (i'm guessing you do since you are a way more experienced runner than I am) then just message me and I'll tell you how. Since there is tons of ice here, I've been practicing using them on my treadmill more now, and I've noticed it's a little bit more tricky on my knee on the treadmill than on the pavement. You def will also notice way more calf muscle usage using them which is a big part of why I think they want you to work into them. Before when I tried to run more forefoot with my regular shoes, i ran all crazy and just couldn't do it properly. But with the Kinvara's, I don't even have to try and I seem to have way better form without even trying. I'm hooked. And for the price you can't beat em.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought the kinvaras about 2 months ago and was very skeptical ( prone to shin splints, typically wear Asics kayanos or Brooks addiction). Having read Born to Run and the barefoot "craze" I thought gotta see what the hype is all about. Well, I bought the Nike free and kinvara and decided on keeping the latter. Whoa, I LOVE them. Only have worn them on the treadmill and short runs but ZERO issues. As a matter of fact it seemed as if the front of my calf was being worked, in a good way. Enjoy!! Can't wait to hear your review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have had the Saucony Kinvara's for a few months and absolutly love them. They are my favorite shoe, however I only run in them a couple times a week on runs 5 miles or shorter. I need a stability shoe for longer distaces so if I run too far in these I start feeling it in my ankle.

    I am absolutly convinced they make me faster :) they do tend to get me up on my toes a bit more which probably turns into a faster run.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good post. I would advise you to get your blog better especially by adding up the matching eminence articles.

    Triathlon



    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your helpful blog.The information that you have given in this web site is extremely helpful for the lymphedema patients. If you're going outside out of your home you may wear lymphedema sleeve making you feel unwind and also looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes it's true in the market verities of the calf compression sleeve are present but the selection of the best calf compression sleeve is really a difficult task but about the online site I know from where you can easily get the verity of the calf compression sleeve....Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Compression shorts are niche running clothing used to produce separation between the hamstrings and the muscles and these shorts are just so great and also fulfills my described functions about compression shorts.
    Source:lymphedema products

    ReplyDelete