When my friend Jenny mentioned that I should start a blog, I was totally against the idea at first. I had no idea what to write a blog about and honestly, I felt kind of embarrassed at the idea of writing one. I guess I just didn't really know what having a blog was all about and I didn't want to just be another blogging mommy who stays home and records her kids' every word, meal, smile, fart, and poopy diaper. I didn't want to just write a blog that only I was interested in. If I was going to write, I wanted to write about something that others were interested in reading too.
What I did hope to gain from this blog:
* An outlet to express myself
* An opportunity to learn about running, nutrition, training, and healthy living
* A way to process my thinking and reflections as a mother
* An avenue for growing as a writer and getting more fluent in my writing
* A way to build up writing samples
* An opportunity to bring up important issues in motherhood, running, and life and have feedback, comments, ideas, and advice from others.
* A way to share the creative projects and ideas I do with my children
* To connect with others who hold similar passions and interests.
What I didn't expect to come from this blog:
* Having people that want to read it besides my mom. I thought that maybe 10-20 people would be reading it by now and I figured that most of those people would be people that I already know.
* That I'd make some genuine friends! I mean some of you have turned into modern day pen pals and I honestly feel like I've made some genuine friendships.
* Being so incredibly inspired by your comments, feedback, and by reading other blogs.
* Learning so much from your comments, feedback, advice, and blog posts.
* That what I had to say about my life and reflections would be inspirational to others....every e-mail, letter or comment I receive from people who thank me for something I wrote, or tell me that something I said resonated with them or inspired them means so much to me. It puts a huge smile on my heart and makes me feel like that is reason enough to keep writing.
* Getting some awesome Mail!!
This morning I got an e-mail from a runner here in Portland, OR. She just started a running blog about making her running dreams come true. She's AWESOME and has some natural talent and gifts as a runner. I'm excited to see her reach her goals and make her dreams come true. I'm also excited to get to know her as a friend and go on some slow runs with her so we can chat. She gave me her number and we had a great conversation this morning about our training, her awesome coach, and our goals. I can already tell that I will learn from her and be inspired by her dedication and motivation! When we ended our conversation, I felt so inspired and pumped to continue to train hard and dream big. Thanks Nicole! So, go say hello to Nicole Wagner at My Dream to Run!
Here are just a few things I've gotten in the mail this week:
Awhile back H Love from Keep on Keeping On asked how many miles we guessed she would run on her vacation with her family. I guessed the exact number so she sent me some little treats in the mail!
I especially love her sticker and the bare Minerals mascara! My kids thought it was pretty special to get something too! And I can't wait to use the Shot Roks! Thanks H Love! I found the perfect place for your sticker...the cover of my Running Journal! And one of my favorite verses is Isaiah 40:31.
Jess from Blonde Ponytail, one of my favorite blog friends, sent me some mail too! She sent me a very sweet card and included her awesome running sticker! I had a hard time deciding where in my Running Journal to put it since it didn't fit on the cover very well. I finally found a page just for her! Then, because I truly do think I've learned something from every single one of you that comment on my blog posts and that write fabulous blogs, I wrote down some things I've learned from Jess and how she has inspired me. Thanks Jess!
Look what else I got in the mail today:
Wow, that online shopping was fast! I'm thinking tomorrow I will receive my black arm warmers and the blue/black Nike racing top that I caved in and bought!
I'm excited to try out my Wave Riders tonight on my 8 mile run! But first, I'm off to go wake these little sickies up: