There's a definite ART in balancing life...an art in finding that perfect blend where we can embrace the "Where we are right now" with the striving for "where we want to be". I'd like to have a healthy dose of both of these things without losing sight of either one.
These were my thoughts I posted earlier this morning on facebook. So much in me right now that feels just a little like I'm teetering with my balance in life. I'm feeling kind of like I'm running back and forth on this life balance board and just when I get to the center and feel stable, I'm too far to one side again. I don't think I'm alone in this feeling. In fact, I'm beginning to think that this is just how life is...a constant balance game. And I KNOW that this balance (that I talk about above) is harder for me when I'm NOT running.
As many of you know, I haven't run since Hood to Coast at the end of August. Really, it hasn't been too long. And surprisingly, I don't feel like I miss running as much as I expected to. I know that I won't truly know how much I miss running until I go on that first run where everything feels whole again. I'll be reminded of why I'm so in love with it and how it brings calm and balance to my life like nothing else can.
In the meantime, I've been quite content with Deep Water Running. I've actually come to love it. So much that I'd like to have at least one day a week of my Boston training where I hit up the pool for a "recovery run". It has been so easy and relaxing for me to just strap a belt on, get in the water and run...all while helping my body heal without putting pressure on my feet. Water feels so healing. And I've found a way where I can just put my iPod in my visor and listen to my music while chugging away. For those of you wondering what deep water running looks like, here's a video my coach sent me (obviously NOT me. I prefer wearing a swimsuit top. You know, out of respect for the other pool users. :) )
Sunday: 5 min warm-up; 6x2:30 hard (30 sec easy recovery); 5 min cool down
Monday: 5 min warm-up; 35 min steady
Tuesday: 5 min warm-up; 2 sets of 6x1:30 hard (30 sec easy recovery); (2 min easy btw sets); 5 min cool down
Wednesday: 5 min warm-up; 35 min steady
Thursday: 5 min warm-up; 1min hard - 1min easy 2min hard - 1 min easy 3min hard - 1 min easy 4min hard - 1 min easy 3min hard - 1 min easy 2min hard - 1 min easy 1min hard; 5 min cool down
Friday: 5 min warm-up; 5x5min hard (1 min easy recovery); 5 min cooldown
Our plan is to start running again (EASY) on Sunday. However, my left foot has started to hurt again today. Pesky Plantar Faciitis! Grr. Some constants in my life right now:
- Always taping my left foot for support. Thankful for KT Tape.
- Stretching whenever I think of it. This means random calf stretches no matter where I'm at. I'm sure people look at me funny when I just start stretching in the grocery store or while standing in line for preschool pick up. Oh well.
- Rolling my foot with a golf ball.
- Massaging my foot
- Always wearing ugly supportive shoes. So much for my cute sundresses that I wore all summer...they don't look nearly as cute with supportive running shoes. Good thing it is fall.
- Lots of pool running. Then sauna and more stretching.
- Positive thinking.
Goals for Today:
Off to the pool. But first, going to list just a few goals off the top of my head so that I have a focus for today.
- Be PRESENT with my kids. Going to try really hard to clear my head and fully focus on moments with my kids (without thinking of other things that have hold of my heart right now).
- Write a letter to my husband and show/tell him how much I love him. Life has been busy for him lately...work, work, and loads of responsibility. But yet, he still is a strength in all of our lives. I need to remember to NEVER take him for granted.
- Make a gratitude list of all the things that I treasure in life. Can't say enough about the power of saying THANK YOU for the things working for us in life...the good things. The Right things. The gifts in life.
- Say Thank you to MYSELF for the things that I'm doing right and try to put that before the mental list of all the things I feel like I'm failing at.
Happy Wednesday! And just two days left to win an Endorphin Warrior Bracelet.
Follow Runninghood on Facebook or Twitter