Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I've Been Quiet...Lots to Think About and One Incredible Relay Experience

Figures, I've been waiting all day to get a chance to sit down and write.  Just for me.  And for those of you wondering where Amanda went, I'm wondering too.  And now, here I am, kids down for their allotted summer "screen time" so that Mom can have some ME time (uninterrupted...you know, the time where I can sit down and read/write on my computer without hiding out in closets and around corners sending text messages and short e-mails so that my kids don't see me on my phone).  Here I am and I've found myself starting this blog three different ways and not knowing where to go with it.  So, you all are going to get an Amanda ramble.  Raw.  Stream of consciousness-like.  Writing in my journal type.  Really written mostly for me to process.  So, if you are reading for some sort of main point, You might not find that.  Bear with me here.

I know there isn't a running blog reader out there in blog land that hasn't heard about this relay called Hood to Coast.  You know almost 200 miles, 6 people in a van, 12 people on a team, friendships, bonding, no sleep, incredible stories, etc.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that many of you non Hood to Coasters might be sick to death of hearing about it.  Stick a freaking relay fork in it already, right?  Yeah, I get that.  But the truth is, those of us that experienced it, experienced a pretty powerful weekend that is hard to really capture fully in words.  Almost impossible really.  Many of us who were on the Nuun Hood to Coast teams had not only a Hood to Coast experience but also two or three days in Seattle leading up to the relay.  During these days, we met new bloggers, went on scavenger hunts throughout Seattle, decorated vans, stayed in hotels with strangers, and were immersed in a sea of SOCIAL-NESS.  This is where I kind of felt a little bit like I was drowning. And I wish I could have a do-over or a chance to try this amazing experience again with my social A game more intact (less of the introverted awkward Amanda that has been showing her face so so often lately).   Let me try to explain...

If I would have asked my husband and close friends to describe me a year or two ago they most likely would have said things like:

  • Socially confident
  • High on LIFE
  • Energetic beyond words
  • Lives Passionately
  • Says whatever comes to her mind (this is still mostly true but I don't roll with it as well anymore)
  • Life of the party
  • Lights up a room (not saying that about myself...but that's what my husband would always say about me).  
  • Does well with big groups of people
  • Extrovert, Wild, Easily  connects with others
  • Speaks her mind clearly
These things are all still part of me for sure.  Definitely at my core. Definitely Amanda.  But I've had a hard time seeing this Amanda lately and honestly, I think those close to me might have a hard time finding this Amanda too.  During so much of my time in Seattle and on the relay road from Hood to Coast, I found myself really struggling with how hard it was for me to be the FULL Amanda.  I was only half of me.  Or at least I only showed half of me to others.  I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be for me to be in such a large group of strangers.  Most of whom were social networkers to the HARD CORE.  In fact, more often than not, we were sitting in groups and 8 out of 10 women were staring at Our phones using twitter, facebook, blogger, etc. more than communicating with the people next to us.  I'd never seen anything like it.  Don't get me wrong, I was one of those people at times...on my phone. Not judging.   It was like we all had a license to be socially not social but still social.  Do I make sense here?  In fact, many girls were tweeting to each other from across the room.  As funny as it was, I also found myself feeling so disconnected with so many. And thankful for the many hours we went without cell phone service during the relay course.  Again, I was one of those on my phone but it was nice to have the break.

We had so much time to meet a lot of people and make many surface connections but I never felt like I really found the time to connect really DEEP with too many of the women. This was my fault too.  I came home craving vulnerability and deepness with people that really truly know and love me.  There were so many times during the weekend when I felt like the awkward high school Amanda that didn't really connect with any one group.  I know I'm not making much sense here because on the other hand, I found myself really drawn to certain people and just starting to open up to them Amanda Style...but then it was time to transition again.  I found myself feeling guarded and over compensating with a social Amanda that just WASN'T me.  Maybe this had to do with the fact that there were so many people to connect with and I do so much better when there are fewer people that I can go deeper with.  Rather than going really deep with anyone, I was surface with a lot. And I felt misunderstood in ways I can't explain. 

I came home thankful for the connections and the opportunity (SO Thankful) but also questioning what really matters to me.  I found myself questioning human relationships and what I want from them.  And I questioned why it was so hard for me to be Amanda on this trip.  Why was I so guarded?  Why did I feel protective of myself?  Why wasn't I able to connect deeper with people?  Why was I so socially awkward at times?  Why was I only able to give half of myself? Just NOT MYSELF.  And I know this has to do with some other things in my life recently that were digging at my heart.  But I'm sad for the distractions.  Sad to have missed out on the relationships and connections because of my own social overwhelmingness ( I know that isn't a word).

Since being home, I've kind of pulled myself into myself.  Lots to think about.  Lots to process.  Lots going on in my life.  At the same time that I was disappointed with how I felt socially, there were so many other highlights/lowlights of this trip:

  • The Nuun Staff was incredible.  They treated us like running royalty.  As I said before, we wanted for nothing.  
  • So many sponsors that contributed to our experience.  I will list them soon and share some of my favorites:  Warrior bracelet, Swiftwick compression socks, Tiger Tail massage roller, Oiselle shirt.
  • I wore a running skirt for the first time in my life.  And it was a sparkle skirt.  Granted, the entire team wore the skirt so I wasn't alone but this was a first for me. Never say never.
  • I was injured.  And hurting more than I wanted others to know. This was a bummer.  But I'm proud of the way that I rolled with it.  It is what it is. My first leg (leg 10) was started feeling really good.  My sore feet/heels felt good and my right hammy didn't seem to bother too much.  My first mile was 6:48 and felt like I could continue that pace FOREVER!  At mile 3 of the 5 my right hammy said Hell NO!  Hurt so so bad.  I finished with a 7:27 avg but barely hanging in there that last mile.  
  • I iced and rolled and rested the best I could but by my second leg, I was still hurting and limping ...at least my stride was with a limp.  But I made the best of it and did what I could do.  No coffee, early in the morning, and hurt = 9:11 average for 7 miles.  It is what it is. 
Better look now because this might be the only time you see me wearing a sparkle skirt until next year (if I get chosen).    I was hurting so badly here...just wanting to run well for my team and knowing that my leg just wasn't there.  Frustrating knowing that last year I was running sub 7's on this leg but this run I was struggling to hold on to 8:30's-9:15's going down hill!  :(  But I was determined to make the most of it.  

Happy to be alive!  Happy to be running for such a great company!  Happy despite pain and injury.  Happy that the sparkle skirt was covering my "too much van food" ass.  

  • I quietly cried when I got to the van after that second leg.  I felt so discouraged.  So frustrated.  So deeply disappointed.  I wanted nothing more than to shine...for ME.  Socially, physically, spiritually, etc.  And all I could find from myself was HALF of ME in all these areas.  Such a weird and confusing feeling.  
  • I don't think too many people could tell that I was struggling this weekend.  I was pretty quiet about my feelings (I think)...again, not like me.  Instead of opening up and being deep with the other women, I shut myself in tight and gave superficial and surface.  :( This makes me sad.  I want a do-over.  
  • My third leg.  So proud.  So happy.  I knew that if I pushed too hard that I wouldn't be running for a bit.  And I'm not running right now.  But it felt good to push past the pain.  It felt good to feel happy and run faster (but still limited).  My 7:37 average for my last 3 miles may not have been the 6:45 that I had hoped for my last leg but I finished smiling and proud.  I had learned that it wasn't about how fast I went...it was about discovering something new within myself.  That I could run strong despite pain.  That I could push past mental heaviness.  
Last leg ...finishing feeling hope and happiness. This relay wasn't about running my fastest times this year but it was about dealing with injury, running through pain and discovering another piece of myself. And being there for each other as a team! Tears, cheers, laughter and love!

  • The ride home was with some girls that I wish I would have had so so much more time with.  But I'm grateful for the 2 hours I did have with them.  
  • I hope I can do this again.  I hope that my sometimes social withdrawal and disconnectedness this weekend won't keep me from getting chosen to do this another time. I know there was so much Amanda that didn't come out.  However, I will always be true to myself....I won't apply in any other way than what is true to me.  And take me or leave me...I am who I am.  
  • Twitter.  I'm not so sure I could be a huge twitter user and still be present in my real life.  Kudos to those who can do it though.  I did learn quite a bit about it and I have one solid foot in the twitter world but I'm so sure I will ever go deeper than that.  It just seems a little too much like what I was talking about this weekend....connecting with a whole lot of people on the surface for others to see but not really going too deeply with anyone.  But maybe this is just me.  How I work.  I'm open to seeing if it holds something else for me from what I can explain right now.  
  • I found myself feeling way older than 33 this weekend.  And I guess that's always how I've felt with people...older than I am.  Much older.  Like, I think I connect more on a deep friend level with people 20 years older than me than I do with people only 5-10 years younger.  Maybe I'm an old soul...ha!  
  • I'm so thankful for the people in my life that love me.  Truly love me.  And connect with me deeply.  I'm thankful that I have this.  I'm thankful for vulnerability and depth.  I'm thankful that I can share my life so fully with the handful of people that I have as close friends right now.  And I'm thankful for the people that value me for me.  
  • I'm also so thankful for the new friendships in my life as of this weekend.  There were a few people that stood out to me more than others...a few girls that I really found drawn to. And even though I didn't go too deeply with them this weekend, I know they are still there and I have time to connect with them.  I made friendships that were the most unexpected and I was sad to see the weekend end so soon before I could really get to know them.  
  • I may not have come home feeling like I was able to fully SHINE in the Amanda way.  However, I did come home feeling like I had gained new wisdom and insight about life, relationships, love, and human connections.  I'm grateful for this.  So much.  
Really am so thankful for these girls.  Even if I wasn't my full self this weekend, gosh, I found myself loving them!  Such a great group of women.  And pretty sure that this jump (before any of my runs) didn't really help the hamstring.  But my coach says that maybe he will switch me to high jumping.  Ha!  

Lots going on in the next couple of weeks.  We are off to Asheville, NC to see if it is a place for us to move for a bit....a new adventure on the horizon.  A next chapter in our life.  Excited to see what life has to offer.  I've got the feeling that I'm really on the edge of something big in life....the next BIG Amanda thing.  Maybe that would explain my lull and unusual behavior/feelings this weekend.  


Amanda 

Follow Runninghood on Facebook or Twitter

57 comments:

  1. great post. I love reading your deep raw emotions b/c they cause so much inner reflection in myself. I need you in my life. you are good for people. good for the soul. I am glad I have seen the real amanda..and you DO shine:) so full of life, so full of depth. that's why I love you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of what you write about is right along the lines of how I often feel too Nicole...or similar. Thank you. Glad for you! Love you too!

      Delete
  2. OMGosh...that is so true for me, too. Both these years, the van ride from Seaside...meeting people and talking and wishing I'd had more time with them from the beginning! So, so true. I was certain you were really hurting. And I knew you didn't want to 'quit'...and I knew that no matter how much we said, "it's okay, we can fill in for you" or "it's okay, just walk if you have to" that you are AMANDA and you'd do whatever you could. I love your fighting spirit. And you looked so strong and so beautiful out on that course. Even in the sparkle...or maybe because of the sparkle ;-)

    With love,
    Your fellow sparkle virgin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie. I'm glad to have finished my legs. I wouldn't have felt good if I couldn't do it. So glad you were in my van!

      Delete
    2. so super glad to have shared a van with you :)

      Delete
  3. Aw Amanda, I kinda felt the same way. Can totally relate to the phone time too and much of the other stuff! So surprising to discover a woman who on the surface I would say is 110% confident and a force of nature is feeling a bit otherwise. I always leave situations feeling misunderstood and awkward, but then I'm a introvert pretending not to be. Would love to connect more, FB me direct or something. You are awesome, baby that hamstring. -- Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw Jennifer www.thefitfork.com jennifer in case you don't recognize that funky icon

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jennifer! So glad you were in my van...Gosh, being in a situation like this just be so overwhelming. I was one of those phone persons at times and I'm thankful the service went out to force us all to connect. So easy to get sucked in. xo

      Delete
    3. also thankful that service went out...for the same reason :) our van was pretty tame compared to most regarding the phone thing!

      Delete
  4. Your honesty is so refreshing! I can relate to this so much in new settings- it takes awhile for me to feel like I'm being "me"- and a weekend just scratches the surface of that. And the social thing- yikes! That's so awkward to be sitting around and everyone is on their own phone tweeting/texting? I am seeing that more and more (parents at restaurants, moms at playgrounds, etc) and it just makes me sad. I'm doing my best to find the middle ground... one foot in the social media world, but I can't ever see myself diving in. Where does everyone find the time?! I'm glad that overall it was such an amazing opportunity for you. Thinking of you on this trip, hope Asheville speaks to you one way or the other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. Yes, it was an amazing opportunity. A great trip! And I was one of the phone people, I'm sure. I was on it a lot! And I too am so sad at it all...even seeing myself and how addicted I can be. Maybe I wasn't on it as much as some but it was funny to see how were were all just sucked into our social media because it was accepted with a group of bloggers. But overall, a great group of women!!

      Delete
  5. Sorry for your injury and the feel of not really connecting. I love social media, but I know it can also take away those deep connections your were talking about. :)

    Hoping for that something BIG for you so you can find Amanda again! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon. Yes, I love social media too! I was right there in the social media mix!

      Delete
  6. I know the "smart" thing would've been to let someone take your leg, due to your injury. I so admire the fact that you chose to run, though. So hopeful that it doesn't have lasting effects. :(
    Love your honesty and how intuitive you are about yourself. It's a gift.
    Glad your relay experience was so rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I consider my intuitive and reflective nature a gift too...I didn't always but in my 30's I realize that it is something about myself that I treasure.

      Delete
  7. I like "lights up a room". This is such a perfect description of your face. When you truly release that energetic passionate Amanda, your face just shines like none other:) I told this to Joe right away when I got home from meeting you. That I hadn't ever seen anyone who's face and eyes could light up like yours. Loved seeing this. Hard not to smile or feel happy when I saw this side of you. Emotions are so contagious with those we love....Been thinking about that a lot lately. Random

    Much I could say. Much I know and I've already spoken so I'll keep this very short:)

    You look beautiful even in a sparkle skirt.

    Really blessed to have you in my life Amanda. I know so many feel this way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you. emotions are contagious. And you always seem to FEEL me...at least something from me ...you usually know when something is off. This both weirds me out and makes me marvel. Ha! LIke, how the heck does she do that...FEEL like that. You have some special power. Blessed with you.

      Delete
  8. love your honesty here and can relate with you on so many levels!
    totally feel the same way about the social media thing....for some reason it still gets to me when i see parents at the playground with their nose down at their phone and totally miss out on all the fun things their kids are doing..or even not noticing when their child falls and skins their chin or knee---
    i think there needs to be a global no social media day--or an "unplugged week" where families can just unplug electronic devices (computer,tv,phones,etc) and just reconnect as families and friends!
    oh and i so get the "old soul" ive been told my whole life i was born an old soul,and i really do feel that way!
    i knew i was drawn to your blog for a reason!:)
    anyways,
    lovely post here with great honesty and totally relatable!
    feelings!
    and and one last thing-you will LOVE ashville-i went to college at Brevard(25 minutes south of ashville)-it is known for their cross country team and the running camps they host every summer.
    the mountains are beautiful and pisgah forest has amazing trails to run---i ran those hills and mountains for practice every day and if i had an opportunity to move back to those parts,i would in a new york minute
    keep us posted with how the trip goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the social Media thing as far as what it is doing to us as a whole. I struggle with this and am as guilty as the next person. Thanks for the great comments. We LOVE Asheville so much!

      Delete
  9. This was my first Hood to Coast and I ran the same leg as you at 1:30 am. (leg 22) You forgot to mention that the first 1-1/2 miles was uphill!! I couldn't run as fast as you WITHOUT an injury!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, I love your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda, you need to give yourself a big hug and be okay with yourself! Sometimes we just aren't all there, and it's ok. And you did great on your relay. I am impressed as hell! Now take some time and enjoy Asheville. Breathe in deep and let the ick fade away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure I can add anything new to these comments ...love the post...so impressed at how you share your raw emotion ... Your slow times are my fast times ... You need to feel great with who you are ... I did the grand teton relay the week before HTC. It was my 2 yr. and boy, emotionally it wasn't the experience I'd had before. The van buddies were awesome but the extreme connection didn't develop like I had before. And I finished my last leg with such emotion, so emotional I couldn't speak. Sometimes that's what our running experiences gives us. Hard emotions. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your relay Janalyn. Sorry it wasn't what you expected. Oh, and I get that emotional side of it all. Love hearing from you and hope to catch up on you really soon.

      Delete
  13. Hello Blog writer.
    Just wanted to say thanks for giving us all a peek inside Amanda's heart today. Sorry it wasn't the experience she had hoped for. I like that she is questioning the sanity and balance of all the social media.
    I am convinced that the real- BRIGHT -Amanda is still in there somewhere. I think we will see her again sometime really soon...like when school starts or she gets back from the NC trip.
    I will be glad because I miss her.
    If you see her, give her a hug and do a little dinosaur show for me.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi you. :0 I e-mailed you so not too much here. Love you. Thanks for you. :)

      Delete
  14. dear Amanda...I was one of the rare ones who was not on the phone..not once...and I did notice what you saw. you are right it was strange..at times I felt disconnected or not on the joke of the moment because I was not on an iphone...but I managed to have "real" talks and get real friendship out of our experience. I also ran injured and I can understand who you felt...so we do this again next year? no injuries...no phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can do this again next year! I want a do over for sure! ;) And I was one of the people on the phone so it is probably my fault that I didn't connect more fully with others. Nobody to blame. Just what I was and where I was. So great to meet you sweet Caroline! xo

      Delete
  15. Jenn said it right. THis is exactly how I felt when I met you. You draw people in when you are "on", and you do it effortlessly. I think life is all about these ups and downs, and all these downs let us think and learn and grow. I get what you are saying here so well. Thinking about you a ton. This too shall pass:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much. I've e-mailed you so just commenting here to say how much I love you in my life!

      Delete
  16. Amanda - I know I didn't get to spend that much time with you at HTC (there were a lot of people there, huh?) Anyway I wanted to tell you two things...

    1. I had been meaning to tell you this in person, but I have read your blog ever since you were chosen for HTC in Feb (?) and I absolutely love your writing style. Your blog posts always seem to flow (even if you think they are sometimes rambles), and your writing is raw (as you put it above), honest and relatable. I wish I could write more like you.

    2. I actually felt the exact same way you felt this year but last year at HTC. I am very much an extrovert in real life, but last year I was completely an introvert during the Relay. Looking back it wasn't neccessarily a bad thing, I took in the experience and listened to other people talk instead of being the "talker" for once. I didn't feel like I was being completely myself, but it was a lesson that I took coming into this year. So I highly recommend applying for next year to see if your experience is different.


    Oh, and great recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, this is the sweetest comment Jocelyn. Thank you so much . So much. I appreciate your words more than you know.

      so glad you had another chance to do this again this year. I hope I get another chance too.

      Delete
  17. I am glad that you had so much fun Amanda, but I am sorry that you were injured! I didn't realize that you were until last week. I hope that everything is okay. Is the same nagging injury you had right after Boston?
    I smiled when I saw you in your sparkle skirt- you rocked it girlfriend! I remember when I wore my pink sparkle skirt to girlfriends and you kind of laughed in a nice way about getting chicked by a pink sparkle skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha. No, this is a different injury and PF in my feet starting up. :( But I haven't run since HTC and feel good. Well, not really good as far as not running but good in that my body is healing.

      Delete
  18. Amanda, I so wish I had known you felt this way. Maybe because I was feeling introverted and a little out of place myself (especially at the beginning!), I didn't really notice it in others. It's so easy to think you are the only one who isn't feeling completely comfortable at all times. I loved this experience and was so grateful to have been chosen, but I agree - 30 people is a lot. It's really hard to connect with that many people in such a short period of time. I also found it hard for myself to find the balance in terms of social media updates. I was pretty conscious of the times I was on my phone (as well as the times that I was not but yet everyone else seemed to be), but not only was it "acceptable," I also felt as though it was encouraged...since we were there to market for Nuun. This was definitely a huge social media experience and as fun as it was to see other people's updates on Twitter as we were running (I loved tracking the other teams that way!), it did feel weird at times and it was hard for me to know how much was too much.

    I also had no idea you were hurting so much during your runs. I know I didn't get to see you a lot during the relay, but every time I did see you, you seemed so strong and positive. I hope you are feeling proud that you pushed through so much, even though the times may not have been what you wanted. One of the things that I found most inspiring about this entire experience was that no one gave up - you included!

    I hope that we have a chance to meet up again at some point. You were definitely one of the people that I was hoping to have a chance to spend more time with/talk to more. Best of luck with the trip to Asheville! I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a great comment Lauren. Yes, it was encouraged and I was right in the mix. And yes, it was hard to know how much was too much. But overall, it was fine! I was just feeling out of sorts and disconnected. Maybe because I'm not a big twitter user and didn't see the tweets as much. ;) ha!

      I hope we get to meet again too. Maybe next year. xoxo

      Delete
  19. Amanda,

    You are an amazing woman and an amazing runner. Like everyone, I wish we could have had more time to connect. I am one of those people who crave deep relationships. Just skimming the surface was hard, and 36 people was a lot to handle all at once.

    I saw you struggling this past weekend (the guarded smile gave it away), but I thought it best to let you be. Being one of the youngest runners there made me feel kind of out-of-place even though I usually get along better with older woman.

    I hope you are loving family time and being back in the comfort of your home. The next time you find yourself in Seattle, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay. Such a sweet comment. Wish I would have connected with you more.

      Delete
  20. This is a wonderful post Amanda and I can absolutely relate to everything you were feeling. I truly feel that social media clouds deep relationships and it is something I have been struggling with for quite sometime. I crave good deep conversation and it is something I've recently noticed is really lacking in my life. Besides family I really feel like there are not many people I have good relationships with. Awww you've really got me thinking...thanks for that!

    So sorry about the injuries your dealing with right now. It is emotionally hard when our mind wants to run fast but your body does not allow you to. Try to stay positive and focus your energy on new challenges and opportunities in your life. Maybe channel your energy into moving to UT so we can hangout? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachelle. Yeah, this trip really made me question a lot about my relationships. I'm staying positive and feeling really good actually. Sending energy to UT! xo

      Delete
  21. Email me if you ever have time. Sending Love from STL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too much van food? Really? You look like a freakin super star. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Take care of the hammy. I am sure you will get chosen next year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with the social media thing. I am on Instagram and Twitter but don't even look at them daily. I got rid of Facebook because I spent way too much time on there. If everyone HONESTLY added up all of the time they spent on social media, it would be eye opening. Don't beat yourself up about this weekend, we can't always be "on", right? Have fun in Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard. Yes, it would be eye opening for me for sure. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  25. i think most of us have this 'problem'. well you know, it's not a problem-problem. issue, i guess. anyway, so many people are obsessed with being on their phone/ipad/etc 24/7. it annoys me now when i'm trying to hang out with people and they are on their phone the whole time. i'm not perfect myself, but i've cut back a lot - i never check twitter, rarely check fb (unless i'm bored at work, ha)... i've cutback/better managed my blog reading too so i don't feel like i come home from work and "have" to sit and catch up on blogs all evening. (who wants to spend their life on the computer? not me).

    anyway. i still love you :)

    depending on how long you guys are in asheville -- feel free to drop me an email, i'd drive up and get a bite to eat with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi girl!! We might be leaving town today to see the mountains but I'll check with my hubby! It would be great to meet you. If not this time, next time for sure! Thee WILL be a next time. I promise. :)

      Delete
  26. Thanks for the really honest post about the HTC. I can totally relate to your experience of being with so many great people and yet not quite connecting with it all and trying to analyze what is going on. I am glad you are starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly. Yes, so many great people. I hope people got that message from this post and not just the social media thing.

      Delete
  27. My goal is to respond to all of these comments soon!! :) Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look really adorable in a sparkly skirt and stripped arm warmers - rocking the look, girl. I'm sorry it wasn't your perfect day with an injury and all the cloudiness in your head. But you are well-loved (obviously :)) and to me, these races are about bonding with people who all have a common interest and shouldn't be so much about competitiveness. These moments together like this are rare and to be cherished, and I think you did that very well :). Hope you're having a blast in NC and everything works out fantastically!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are so very observant and thoughtful. When bringing together a group of this size, it's tough to connect with everyone...I felt like once we arrived, we kept moving! And, I'm an introvert by nature, so I really have to step outside my comfort zone! :) I'm so sorry you had to deal with such pain during your runs--so mentally tough. And, never once did you make it a pity party. I wish I had more time with you--hearing more stories about your kiddos would've have surely been entertaining (i.e. lactose intolerance!). You're a beautiful person inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amanda, I read this post a while back and I am just now getting around to leaving you a note. I was also surprised to hear that you were really struggling that much. You come across as so bubbly and confident. You did mention to me that your friend told you not to "share so much" and "not to be too much Amanda" when you talked to him after the first day...but I meant what I said when I told you that I LOVED when you were chatting away with no filter! I wish we had spent more time together, but I really enjoyed the time we did have. You light up a room when you walk into it with your energy and I hope you don't walk away from this feeling like you didn't make (positive) lasting impressions on people. I think the time we spent (all of us!) could just be a starting point for real, deep friendships. But the relationships just have to be developed and nurtured just like any other friendship.
    I am curious to know, after a few weeks, how you feel as you reflect back on the experience. I haven't had a chance to read updated posts to see if you are still feeling like you want a "do over".
    I also am looking forward to reading/hearing about your Asheville trip...just from the few comments I have seen from you - it sounds like it was a success!!

    ReplyDelete