Friday, March 2, 2012

"Today You are YOU..." Thank you Dr. Suess!



Happy Birthday to Dr. Suess!  If you use facebook, go to book stores, or watch any kind of television, you might have picked up on the fact that today is a day when people all over our world are celebrating Theodor Geisel, aka Dr. Suess!  




The first thing you might think of when you hear Dr. Suess is that he wrote a lot of fabulous and fun books for kids.  But in addition to all his children's books that have made reading come alive for so many, many of his words have become timeless quotes that are remembered by children and adults alike! 


Dr. Suess quotes are some of my most treasured words and so I thought that today would be a good day to share some of them and have you share some of your favorites too!  


"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way."

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
This morning I asked some of you on my Runninghood facebook to share your favorite Dr. Suess quotes.  I loved what quotes you had to share.  
Allison:  "You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes
Debbie from The Run Home (go like this page..she makes some great stuff :)) says:
Thinking about my favorite Dr. Seuss Quote today and it is just so true!

“Being crazy isn't enough.”
― Dr. Seuss

If you are training for a race, running for a team, trying to prove yourself, thinking of getting fit. BEING CRAZY IS NOT ENOUGH. Being crazy enough to want it, crazy enough to dream it, crazy enough to join your team, crazy enough to get off the couch. Not enough. You have to put that one crazy thought into motion. Live it. Breathe it. Want it. More than anything. BEING CRAZY ISN'T ENOUGH. Thank you, Dr. Seuss.




1.  What are your favorite Dr. Suess quotes or books?
2.  Do you celebrate Dr. Suess Day with your kids?  Any traditions?  
Amanda

14 comments:

  1. I have so many of those books memorized. The Foot Book, The Hair Book, Oh The Thinks You Can Think.. on and on!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dr. Seuss! The boys' bookshelves are filled with his books - so much wisdom in those stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Dr. Seuss! I still look to him for motivational quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know it was Dr. Seuss day! I passed on a perfect opportunity to make green eggs and ham for breakfast. Maybe dinner?...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes Dinner! We didn't do anything special. Nothing besides me dressing up all crazy like and doing a story time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Dr. Suess!!! Thank you for letting me know that today is his birthday!! Are you going to see the new Dr. Suess movie when it comes out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Love, Runninghood!
    I love that quote! Special meaning for my crazy running family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Dr S! I learned to read w/ his books and so did my kids. True genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Suess is the BEST!!! Used it in the classroom all day yesterday!!! Taking the boys to see "The Lorax" today...my personal favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I can read with my eyes shut but it makes my eyes burn."

    I haven't read a Dr Seuss book for a little while now but I use that quote whenever Iven falls asleep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was happily surprised when the head of the university program I am studying quoted Dr Suess in our first lecture the other day!
    “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
    Wisdome, pure wisdom. Thanks, Dr S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They Geisel family is/was amazing. Audrey, his wife, is a big supporter of the organization I work for and the place I last worked, as well. She lives right here in San Diego. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. DR. SEUSS ROCKS!!! Wishing you a great race this weekend, Amanda! Your mountain is waiting...:-)

    ReplyDelete