Monday, July 4, 2011

Mini Marathon Report! Fun Race Today!


Mile 26.1...a picture that captures it all perfectly.  Happy, strong, and having fun!  So what I wanted! Thanks for the shot Nicole!




This is the car that was in front of us on our way to the marathon this morning.  I know some of you won't find this conversation funny but it sure did make me laugh and put me in a good mood for the start of the race.
Hubby:  70.3 and 140.6?  What?
Me:  Oh, yeah, that's hard core.  That's the Half Ironman and the Full Ironman.  See the Ironman symbol up there?  And 26.2 too.
Hubby:  Cool.
Me:  Yeah, a little self-absorbed....we can be like that sometimes when we accomplish these big goals we are so proud of.
Hubby:  Whatever!  If I did the Ironman, I'd put 140.6 on my d*&k!

Not sure why this was so funny me to me.  Maybe it was the fact that it was 5:30 in the morning.  Or that it came from him.  And definitely because it rings true...Granted, he wouldn't really be tattooing 140.6 on his wiener but you get the gist.  If I did a HIM or Ironman, I'd have those stickers all over my car and any shirts I could find! You bet! We work hard training for these things and I am in awe of those of you that do the HIM and Ironman...AMAZING!

Race report coming one of these days when I feel like it.  Here's the short version:

Both of us ran 3:24:25.  

Did I mention that this was his first marathon and he hadn't trained for it?  Yep, so proud of him.  Such a stud!  Gosh I love him.  Best running partner EVER!  We know what to say to each other, when to push and when to keep quiet, how to motivate, etc. Even when to laugh and crack a few jokes during the race.  We just know what the other person means by key words and phrases like :  cadence, arms, settle in, pull back, it isn't a race yet, draft, etc.  So thankful for him!

My goal: I just ran a marathon a month ago so my goals for this one were to have FUN, enjoy the process and try for a progressive/smart marathon! I knew that I didn't have the best training  over the past 4 weeks and that I didn't want to hurt myself from running another marathon so soon so I just wanted to see what happened.  Excited with how it turned out!
His goal: To finish and run with me.  He also had a sub 3:30 in mind if all went well.

Goals met!  We held back and kept our pace comfortable and conversational.  I tried out my gradual/trickle fuel strategy and LOVED it (I'll explain more later).  We had negative splits...second half was approximately 2 minutes faster than the first half.  This felt great!

Not really sure about official places yet.  I was 4th overall woman and 3rd in my AG.

More later but here are some pictures and a couple shout outs!

A girl could get used to waking up to the sunrise!




So PROUD of him!



On our way home!

Congrats to Raina on breaking 42 minutes in a 10k!  She wasn't specifically trained for this race but was doing it for fun and just to see what she could do BEFORE she started her training!  I predict she will be breaking 40 minutes soon!

Thank you to Nicole for coming out and cheering so many of us on.  She rode her bike along with some of the half marathon girls and she was there cheering me on at the end.  Her bright smile and positive energy was just what I needed to finish strong.  So thankful for her.  She also got one really great shot before her camera died.  As some of you know, Nicole has been injured and unable to run.  This has been hard on her and she was supposed to race this half marathon.  This was the race she was hoping to break 1:30 in and I know she would have done it if she was able to run.  Thanks Nicole!  You inspired and motivated so many of us!  Thank you for coming out and supporting us at a race that you so badly wanted to be running!

And a HUGE congrats to Stephanie at Soggy Runner Girl for not only meeting her goal of breaking 1:30 in her half marathon but running a 1:27!!  Way TO GO!!!  Go congratulate her!

Oh, and happy to meet Summer, a new running "friend".  I got out of my car and commented on her Lululemon speed shorts and chatted a bit.  Then she said, "Are you the girl that writes Runninghood?"  She has never commented but Summer, I hope you do now!  It was fun to be recognized...made me feel special.  And great job on your 3:50 marathon...I know you were shooting for 3:40 but you'll get it next time!

Amanda

51 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! sounds like it was a GREAT day and a fun race with your husband and friends! congrats to you all and so many of your friends that met their goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new layout! That picture with your kids is awesome as the center piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you are amazing and SO FAST. I am crazy proud of you and your hubby. What an awesome day!!! Huge congrats!!!

    (And I literally laughed out loud at your hubby's comment of where he would put 140.6. HA!!!)

    Congrats!! Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great time and congrats to the hubby, wow that is awesome for not having trained for it. Your blog looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to bust out an impromptu marathon speedy! Tell you hubby he should tattoo 3:24 on his d*ck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great, Amanda! I am so glad you got your progressive, negative-split marathon and a killer time! So so awesome :) and huge congrats to Waylon for doing such an incredible job on his first marathon…and with no training! You guys ARE such a team :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohooooooo!!!! I can't even tell you how big I am smiling for you (for you BOTH) right now, girl! That is fantastic! I am a firm believer that sometimes when you take the pressure off to perform x-time, it all comes together and you run so much better. Congrats on the negative splitting and you awesome placement! I couldn't be happier for you right now! I thought about you as I was baking in the 98 degree heat today and praying all was going well. YES, excellent news all-around. Congrats to you and your husband, you are ROCK STARS!! Now, let's see if he gets a 26.2 tattoo on his weiner! :)

    Big HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on an excellent time! Love your husbands comment about the tattoo, really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow!!!! You two are crazy fast. Awesome job!!

    I'm dying at the dick comment too. Bahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great day! You and your hubby are super stars...I am guessing he had a strong base! that is crazy good! CONGRATS!

    I too laugh and think about those stickers. I can't bring myself to put even a 26.2 on my car. No one likes a "show off"

    ReplyDelete
  11. HIS FIRST MARATHON AND NO TRAINING....you two are my hero's!! I am so happy that you had such an amazing race together and that you are so good at being each other's cheerleaders and saying the right things. What an awesome memory to have together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! a sub 3:30 marathon with your hubby, that must have been so great to run such a great race with him! congrats to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man, you've got some really fast friends. And that husband of yours - awesome!! Sounds like nearly as good a weekend as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on the race both of you! So cool you could run together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't believe you two can just whip out races like that. AMAZING ATHLETES you both are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Y'all are unbelievable! That's crazy that the hubby was able to pull that off with no training.

    And that conversation cracked me the hell up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow lady! You two are amazing!

    My husband says "ouch!" and that unless he shows his junk to the public, he should consider putting the tattoo elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay your hubby's comment is freaking hilarious!! I would be laughing too!

    You two are such a killer duo!!! Amazing!! I'm so happy to read this report and see that you enjoyed it the whole time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing Job for both of you!!!!! Thanks for the shout out. Hopefully next time we will actually meet face to face :) Beautiful day for a relaxing race :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. your hubby looks like he does that every day. Big hugs to you both and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So awesome!!! Congrats to you both! You inspire so many.
    Thank you for all you do and all you share!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha! I've officially been called out as a blog stalker!! I am amazed at you and your husband. Great work today! I'm glad I got to meet you both!
    -Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so glad I stuck around...I was in my car to go b/c I knew I would get in trouble since I'd been gone from the family all morning but I just couldn't leave without seeing you and it was worth it!!! you and Waylon KILLED it and looked SO happy Amanda!! yay for progressive marathons! you are amazing, and an inspiration! love your guts! on to Boston we go!!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. 3:24
    No training
    Wow. Congrats to the new Marathoner!
    He does not even look tired after the race !
    What a great thing to share and a wonderful memory for you 2. Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.S when is Waylon starting his own running blog? ha ha ha ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are super woman! Congrats to you and Waylon! P.S. love his comment on the IM, I am laughing hysterically right now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had never considered a downstairs location for my future BQ time future tattoo (a goal that is still only sort of taking shape). I guess it would be easier if I were a dude. Bwahahah!

    Both you and your husband are rockstars! Congratulations on meeting your goals and running a fantastic time! It must have been an incredible experience to share as spouses.

    ReplyDelete
  28. CONGRATS!!! WOW.
    If I ever did an Ironman, it would be plastered everywhere...and I'd tell EVERYONE...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations to you both on a fantastic race. Sounds like the two of you are good for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats! What a fun day! And, your husband's comment sounds like something mine would say! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That conversation made me laugh out loud!!! Way to go on the marathon!! Both of you! I can't believe he did so well on his first marathon, especially without training for it. Sounds like he is a machine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh I can't believe I forgot to comment about the convo. I laughed out loud when I read it... Really funny. I love too how you are educating him about all this stuff. You guys are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on running a smart marathon. I think its awesome / impressive/ cute etc etc that you and the hubby ran the whole way together!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ok-first of all, I LOVE the top picture! Nicole got a GREAT shot!! Strong, determined, happy, beautiful even after all those miles!!!

    Joe got a kick out of Waylon's comment! This is exactly something he would say-ha! Seems like you have the PERFECT running partner there! A rare find! I love Joe but he is not my perfect running partner-ha!

    So, I know much of this marathon info. but again, such a fantastic race ESPECIALLY considering the circumstances of just completing a marathon, being sick, recovering etc. Your splits-SO impressive, the negative split, your fueling, everything came together for you perfectly. You have some crazy awesome potential girl and it's fun to see you figuring it all out and finding out what works for you!

    Congrats to Raina! So excited for her and yes, sub 40 right around the corner for her. Nicole sounds like just a great friend! Off to check out the Soggy Runner Girl.

    Have a great day, girl!! Hope you can walk today. I was struggling a bit after my marathon. I had to stand at the hockey game that afternoon because stairs and then sitting in the bleachers was just not happening!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am dying! that was so hilarious what your hubby said... love funny crap like that!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Way to go girl. I new you would do good. Your hubby was awesome to. Cant wait to hear more about it. Congrat to the two of you. Love the pic's

    ReplyDelete
  37. amanda, this is so awesome!! CONGRATS!! love that you and your hubby ran it together...amazing finish for him!! Laughed out loud at the weiner comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great job to you and your husband on the marathon, I can’t believe he did so well on his first one!

    LOVE the conversation you had with your hubby! I just finished my first half ironman and wouldn’t put a 70.3 sticker on my car but have told my husband that I would ABSOULTLY put a 140.6 sticker on if/when I finish a full. I am not sure why I draw the line there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow Congrats to both of you!
    I ran a one mile race yesterday and got a 1.0 sticker in my packet! I keep laughing every time I look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So glad that this was a great experience for the two of you! Congrats, this is amazing!

    Well deserved my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW! You two did AWESOME! I am so impressed. That is a great time!! I can't wait to read about the recap!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So...this is how you "un-race"? Sheesh! I am taking notes!!!

    Fantastic job both of you!

    I can't wait to read all the little details and about who paced who, etc....and if you ever used the music running with waylon...or did you draft off each other? Ha. I might or might not try to draft off my husband.

    Oh, so much to enjoy about this little relaxed fun marathon! Congrats to you, so PROUD of you :)

    also- thanks for the shout out! I am not sure now if I actually broke 42. Yesterday's print out at the race said 41:59 and the online results now say 42:00 gun time, 41:49 net/chip..?? What would you say?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Way to go!! That is amazing your husband was able to run the marathon with little training...and of course you just ran one 4 weeks ago!! I love that you finished together! What a great bonding experience. I bet you both will never forget it! Do you both want to do another one together? How is he feeling? How are you feeling? Can't wait for the full recap!! (Hey, look, I actually commented! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very very solid run young lady. And gentleman. Congrats to both of you. What a cool and special thing to do. You two are lucky to have each other.

    I actually thought of a few funny comments about 140.6, but will not go there.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great job, Amanda! And to your husband, too. How cool you got to experience that together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. congrats! I'm always so impressed with you and your family. great support system.
    and yes, the 140.6/70.3/13.1 and yada yada yada bumperstickers are sometimes a bit much. But I guess if I did ironmans, i'd show it off too. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congrats to you both! Fantastic time -- and your goal of HAVING FUN is one of the hardest to accomplish in any race.

    I'm 3 weeks out from my second HIM on July 30 and signing up for Ironman Canada 2012. I will never run a marathon outside of an Ironman. Some days, I wonder what the hell is wrong with me!!

    Bask in your marathon glory with your husband (ideally in a hot tub somewhere)! :-)

    Molly @ The Elusive F-Spot
    http://molly-sweeney.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. so glad that you had such a FUN race!!! and met both of your goals :)

    and this is my first time seeing the new layout...looks AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. is it bad that i would probably say that to josh? hahaha.even though i *obviouslu* do not have a weiner... :) your hubs sounds like he ould be related to me - except that he ran a great time for no-training where as i just don't-train and run slow.

    ReplyDelete