Just sitting here with frozen corn on my crotch about to google a bit about "groin strain" and what it means for my training and outlook for racing this marathon in 4 weeks. But first, wanted to say thank you so very very much for your loving and kind words of support and encouragement in my last post. Wow, what a great community!
After an entire day of pampering and self-reflection, I realize just how little time I have been giving to caring for myself. Thank you to my husband for such a great day! Here's a few highlights and reflections:
* 1 hour sports massage. She spent most of her time in my back and shoulders and was shocked at the stress I was carrying there. It is called 3 kids and not getting out enough. Except for running.
* 1 hour facial. That lady really loved clearing pores! I like popping zits too. Maybe I should go back to school to do what she does. Yes?
* Adjustment from my sports chiropractor. Wow, I was SO out of whack! No wonder I've been feeling torn down. It was just supposed to be an adjustment but he checked out my groin muscle, affirmed it was a strain and did some work on it. He said I shouldn't race this weekend but gave me the go ahead to run slow. Told me I could start with the friggin jogger strollers so that I wouldn't be tempted to try to take off with the leading pack. Booo! I wanted to win the race. Yep, the entire thing. That was my goal. I should say that that was my secret (even secret to me really) goal deep in my mind but wouldn't really admit to myself or anyone else. The winner last year ran a 1:31 something. But that's not going to happen for me anymore. Seriously, I'm taking it all in stride though. Initially, I wanted to cry and cry but I've got a pretty positive outlook on it and now just hoping that it heals so I can run my marathon. He also said that groin strains can be hard to heal. I'm not sure where I should go from here because he ran out of time. I didn't run slow today because it hurt too much so I did the stair master and stretched. OH My goodness...so this is what my body is supposed to feel like when I stretch. I could touch the floor!! I felt so limber and balanced. No wonder my body feels like it was falling apart. I was a hot mess of stress and imbalance. Thank God for massages and good chiropractors to get this nut head all straightened out!
* Pizza and Salad all by myself.
* Cut and subtle highlights with my favorite hair stylist.
* Gym to do stair master. I also weighed myself just to make sure that I was still on track with my weight since I obviously looked scary thin and ragged in my last pictures. Again, I am insisting that the pictures/angle made me look way thinner and I really don't look that skinny. I'm thin, yes and this is just coming with the territory of marathon training for me and not having a ton of time for weights. I'm still the same 120 lbs that I usually am (125 is a better weight for my 5'4 frame) but hope to gain some more weight once marathon training is done! Ragged and tired, yes, this part of the picture was pretty spot on! But I feel RECHARGED after today! :) The reason I'm mentioning the weight issue is because I've had more than one friend mention this to me lately and I just want to put it out there that I am not losing weight on purpose. I stuff my face like no other and I can put down more food than most of my friends. I do admit that during the day with kids, I end up running around like crazy and don't eat as much as I should. This will have to change. But I usually make up for it from the hours of 7 to 10 at night when I'm stuffing my face! I'm just burning an incredible amount of calories with running, running after kids, and really not sitting down for most of the day! This is just part of where I'm at right now. Thank you for those of you in the virtual world and my personal life who have expressed concern. Much love to you!
Anyone know anything about Groin Strains? Yikes, I'm a little worried but also taking life as it comes. Just want to be smart, not do too much, and do what I can to heal quickly.